Nonlinear coordinate transformation

In summary, the problem can be transformed into a PDE in different variables, but the form becomes more complicated due to the nonlinear coordinate transformation.
shawnstrausser

Homework Statement

Evening all, I'm trying to solve the 2-D diffusion equation in a region bounded by y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b. The boundary condition makes it complicated to work with numerically, and I recall a trick that involves a coordinate transformation so that y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b are mapped to y = 1, and y = 0, which I already have a program to solve numerically. This will transform the PDE, but that is easier (I think) to work with..

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nonlinear-coordinate-transformation.851414/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: I simplified the problem to first consider y = m x, and y = - m x. The curve y = m x can be written as (x, m x), and y = - m x as (x, -m x). The transformation, T, should satisfy T(x, m x) = (x, 1) and T(x, - m x) = (x,0). As far as I can tell, (x, m x), and (x, - m x) form a basis(?) and so this should completely determine the transformation, from what I recall in Linear Algebra (or maybe that only works for a linear transformation?). It looks like the transformation is non linear as well. I'm not quite sure where to go, I want to map from the coordinates (x,y) to (x',y') that transform the curves as described above. If I could find the relationships x = f(x',y') and y = g(x',y'), then I could transform the derivatives in the PDE. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
shawnstrausser said:

Homework Statement

Evening all, I'm trying to solve the 2-D diffusion equation in a region bounded by y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b. The boundary condition makes it complicated to work with numerically, and I recall a trick that involves a coordinate transformation so that y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b are mapped to y = 1, and y = 0, which I already have a program to solve numerically. This will transform the PDE, but that is easier (I think) to work with..

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nonlinear-coordinate-transformation.851414/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: I simplified the problem to first consider y = m x, and y = - m x. The curve y = m x can be written as (x, m x), and y = - m x as (x, -m x). The transformation, T, should satisfy T(x, m x) = (x, 1) and T(x, - m x) = (x,0). As far as I can tell, (x, m x), and (x, - m x) form a basis(?) and so this should completely determine the transformation, from what I recall in Linear Algebra (or maybe that only works for a linear transformation?). It looks like the transformation is non linear as well. I'm not quite sure where to go, I want to map from the coordinates (x,y) to (x',y') that transform the curves as described above. If I could find the relationships x = f(x',y') and y = g(x',y'), then I could transform the derivatives in the PDE. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance..

The two lines ##y = mx+b## and ##y = -mx-b## are of the form ##y = s(x \:+ \: b/m)## for ##s = -m## and ##s = +m##. So, if you change variables to ##x## and ##s##, where ##s## is the slope of the line through ##(-b/m,0)## you will have ##y = s (x\:+\:b/m)##. This gives a PDE in the variables ##(x,s)## on the region ##-m \leq s \leq m##. However, the form of the DE will become more complicated, due to the nonlinear coordinate transformation (which now involves a product ##sx## when determining ##y##.

Alternatively, you can use polar coordinates centered at ##(-b/m,0)##, so that ##x+b/m = r \cos(\theta), y = r \sin(\theta)##. This gives a PDE in ##(r,\theta)## over the region ##-\arctan(m) \leq \theta \leq \arctan(m)##.

Last edited:

What is a nonlinear coordinate transformation?

A nonlinear coordinate transformation is a mathematical process that converts coordinates from one coordinate system to another, where the relationship between the coordinates is not a simple linear function. This means that the new coordinates cannot be obtained by simply multiplying or adding a constant to the original coordinates.

Why is nonlinear coordinate transformation important in science?

Nonlinear coordinate transformation is important in science because it allows for the analysis and understanding of complex systems and phenomena. It can help describe the relationships between variables that are not directly proportional, and can reveal patterns and trends that may not be apparent in the original coordinate system.

How is a nonlinear coordinate transformation different from a linear coordinate transformation?

A linear coordinate transformation involves a relationship between two coordinate systems that can be represented by a straight line. This means that the new coordinates can be obtained by multiplying or adding a constant to the original coordinates. In contrast, a nonlinear coordinate transformation involves a relationship that cannot be represented by a straight line.

What are some common examples of nonlinear coordinate transformations?

Nonlinear coordinate transformations can be found in many areas of science, such as physics, biology, and economics. One example is the transformation of Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, where the relationship between the coordinates is not linear. Another example is the transformation of data in a scatter plot to a logarithmic scale, which is commonly used in analyzing exponential growth or decay.

How is nonlinear coordinate transformation used in data analysis?

Nonlinear coordinate transformation is often used in data analysis to help reveal patterns and relationships that may not be apparent in the original data. It can also be used to fit data to a specific mathematical model or to transform data to a more suitable coordinate system for analysis. Nonlinear coordinate transformation can also be used to reduce the complexity of data and make it easier to interpret.