1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear coordinate transformation

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evening all, I'm trying to solve the 2-D diffusion equation in a region bounded by y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b. The boundary condition makes it complicated to work with numerically, and I recall a trick that involves a coordinate transformation so that y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b are mapped to y = 1, and y = 0, which I already have a program to solve numerically. This will transform the PDE, but that is easier (I think) to work with..

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nonlinear-coordinate-transformation.851414/

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt: I simplified the problem to first consider y = m x, and y = - m x. The curve y = m x can be written as (x, m x), and y = - m x as (x, -m x). The transformation, T, should satisfy T(x, m x) = (x, 1) and T(x, - m x) = (x,0). As far as I can tell, (x, m x), and (x, - m x) form a basis(?) and so this should completely determine the transformation, from what I recall in Linear Algebra (or maybe that only works for a linear transformation?). It looks like the transformation is non linear as well. I'm not quite sure where to go, I want to map from the coordinates (x,y) to (x',y') that transform the curves as described above. If I could find the relationships x = f(x',y') and y = g(x',y'), then I could transform the derivatives in the PDE. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The two lines ##y = mx+b## and ##y = -mx-b## are of the form ##y = s(x \:+ \: b/m)## for ##s = -m## and ##s = +m##. So, if you change variables to ##x## and ##s##, where ##s## is the slope of the line through ##(-b/m,0)## you will have ##y = s (x\:+\:b/m)##. This gives a PDE in the variables ##(x,s)## on the region ##-m \leq s \leq m##. However, the form of the DE will become more complicated, due to the nonlinear coordinate transformation (which now involves a product ##sx## when determining ##y##.

Alternatively, you can use polar coordinates centered at ##(-b/m,0)##, so that ##x+b/m = r \cos(\theta), y = r \sin(\theta)##. This gives a PDE in ##(r,\theta)## over the region ##-\arctan(m) \leq \theta \leq \arctan(m)##.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted