Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equation Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and the process of solving it using an integrating factor. The speaker expresses confusion about the steps involved and their teacher's advice. The expert explains the correct approach and clarifies that the equation does not need to be reduced to one variable to find the integrating factor.
lilyrose

Homework Statement

y'=(x^2 +xy-y)/((x^2(y)) -2x^2)[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that really the only way to solve this one is to use an integrating factor, and make it into an exact equation. My DE teacher said that to make it into a exact equation you need to take the partial of P(x,y) with respect to y minus the partial of (x,y) with respect to x, all divided by Q(x,y). However, when I do this, I get a nasty equation: (x^2 +5x-1-2xy)/(x^2 -2x^2).
We were told that you can only find μ, the integrating factor, if we got an equation in terms of one variable. Where am I going wrong?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by writing this equation as [itex](x^2+ xy- y)dx+ (2x^2- x^2y)dy= 0[/itex]. Now, the "P" and "Q" your teacher was talking about are [itex]P= x^2+ xy- y[/itex] and [itex]Q= 2x^2- x^2y= x^2(2- y)[/itex]. The partial derivative of P with respect to y is [itex]P_y= x- 1[/itex] and the partial derivative of Q with respect to x is [itex]2x(2- y)= 4x- xy[/itex]. Their difference is [itex]x- 1- (4x- xy)= xy+ 5x- 1[/itex]. Dividing that by Q, [itex]\frac{xy+ 5x- 1}{x^2(2- y)}[/itex], almost what you have. That is not an equation, it is an expression. What are you to do with it?

We were told that you can only find μ, the integrating factor, if we got an equation in terms of one variable.
you must have misunderstood. That is certainly not true.

1. What is a nonlinear ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A nonlinear ordinary differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It is considered nonlinear because the function and/or its derivatives are raised to powers other than 1 and are multiplied together, making the equation more complex and difficult to solve compared to a linear ODE.

2. What are some examples of nonlinear ODEs?

Some examples of nonlinear ODEs include the logistic equation, the Lotka-Volterra equations, and the Van der Pol equation. These equations are used in various fields such as biology, physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems.

3. How do you solve a nonlinear ODE?

Solving a nonlinear ODE can be challenging and often requires advanced mathematical techniques such as numerical methods, power series solutions, or perturbation methods. In some cases, it may not be possible to find an analytical solution and numerical approximations may be used instead.

4. Why are nonlinear ODEs important in science?

Nonlinear ODEs are important in science because they provide a more accurate representation of real-world systems. Many natural phenomena, such as population growth and chemical reactions, cannot be accurately described by linear equations and require nonlinear ODEs for a better understanding.

5. What are some applications of nonlinear ODEs?

Nonlinear ODEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used to model physical systems such as oscillators, electric circuits, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in economics to model market dynamics and in biology to study population dynamics and biochemical reactions.