Nonuniform line of charge, find the electric potential

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
lu6cifer
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
A nonuniform linear charge distribution given by λ = bx, where b is a constant, is located along an x-axis from x = 0 to x = 0.50 m. Suppose that b = 25 nC/m2 and V = 0 at infinity. (b) What is the electric potential at the point y = 0.30 m on the y axis?
E = kq/r^2
V = -Ed
Since there's no charge on the y, I think I would have to find the E-field at that point on y, and then use V = -Ed. But how do I integrate the E-field if it's nonuniform?

And is this what I'm supposed to do?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential at any point is given by
V = k*Q/r.
Since charge distribution is nonuniform
V = Intg[k*dq/r] between x = 0 to x = 0.5 m
Now dQ = bx*dx and r = sqrt( 0.3^2 + x^2)
Find the integration.