Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonzero R-Module over commuttaive ring, all submodules free => R PID?

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Let R be a commutative ring with 1. If there exists a non-zero R-module M such that every submodule of M is free, then R is a PID.

I remember proving something similar to this, assuming submodules of all R-modules are free, but I'm not too sure about this question. The direction I am headed in is to consider M as an I-module. As IM->N, N has a basis {n_i}. After playing around a bit I get lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This means in particular that there exists a set I such that the submodules of [itex]R^I[/itex] are all free. Can you show that this implies that all ideals are free?

4. Aug 9, 2011 #3
    I am not sure what you mean by the notation [itex]R^I[/itex]. As M is a specific R-module who's submodules are free, wouldn't I have to consider only the sub-modules of M?

5. Aug 9, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but in particular, M is free. Thus M is isomorphic to [itex]R^I[/itex] (or [itex]\oplus_{i\in I} R[/itex] if you prefer that)

6. Aug 9, 2011 #5
    Ah, gotcha. Then R (and hence any ideal) itself can be regarded as a submodule of [itex]\oplus R[/itex] by the isomorphism. Then this reduces to the other problem?

So it seems any free module on a commutative ring R contains R and its ideals as a submodule (at least isomorphically).

7. Aug 9, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed; so the problem reduces to the ideals of R. You know that they are free (as R-module), and you need to show that they are generated by 1 element.

8. Aug 9, 2011 #7
    Yes, I did that as a homework problem at some point in my last algebra class. A contradiction arises assuming there were two or more basis elements and choosing the coefficients appropriately.

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook