1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Distribution: Basic statistics help needed!

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In math 334 one semester, the average student made 1200 computations per month with a standard deviation of 150 computations. Assume that the number of computations is approximated by a normal curve. Find the percent of students making between 1200 and 1600 computations a month.

2. Relevant equations
    standard bell curve equation. I don't really know what specific ones I'm supposed to use for a problem like this.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured that the answer would have to be the prob. of a student making less than 1200* the prob of a student making less than 1600. Which would be 1/2*prob of making less than 1600, which I can't seem to figure out.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. Apr 16, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Times? Try subtracting.

If z has the normal distribution with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] then [itex](z- \mu)/\sigma[/itex] has the standard normal distribution for which you probably have tables (a good one is at http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook