1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal group contained in the center.

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    I am doing exercises from Hungerford's text 'Algebra', and would appreciate if someone took the time to verify my write-up for me, and possibly provide me with tips how this could be done more efficiently (using less mathematical machinery)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a normal subgroup N of order p ( p prime) is contained in a group G of order [itex]p^n[/itex], then N is in the center of G.

2. Relevant equations
    Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem: http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Orbit-Stabilizer_Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I construct the group action [itex]f: G \times H \rightarrow H[/itex] by this following rule: [itex]f((g,h)) = ghg^{-1}[/itex]. This is well-defined by normality of H of course.
    By Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem I know that the size of orbit of any [itex]h \in H[/itex] must have cardinality dividing [itex]|G| = p^n[/itex]. So cardinality of orbits is 1 or p (since anything bigger
    would imply more elements in an orbit than there are in H) and H is the disjoint union of orbits of it's elements, so all orbits cardinalities add up to p. But we see that the orbit of the identity in H must be of size 1 (itself), since for any [itex]g \in G[/itex] , [itex]geg^{-1} = e[/itex]. This means we have p-1 other elements in orbits, but orbit cardinalities have to divide p, so they are all of size 1.
    This means that for any [itex] h \in H[/itex] and all [itex] g \in G[/itex] we have [itex] ghg^{-1} = h[/itex], so all elements of H are in the center of G.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's very nicely written. And the Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem is about the only piece of machinery you used. I can't think how you would do it more simply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook