1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well it is not the problem itself that bothers me but the maths behind a part of it. As part of finding the coefficient I had to solve the integral of (Sin(x))^(2l+ 1). The solution given by the solution manual just pretty much jumps to the final answer http://i.imgur.com/hhoeLKE.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using substitution and the binomial theorem I was able to get a solution (of the integral part only, It would still need solving for the coefficient) and got this http://i.imgur.com/wnOUNIp.png

The problem is I dont see how to get from my answer to the one on the solution manual. I know they are equivalent because I checked numerically for different values of l.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2
    Hi,
    They use a recurrence formula for sine integral:
    [tex]\int sin^{2l+1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta =-\frac{sin^{2l}\left ( \theta \right )cos\left ( \theta \right )}{2l+1}+\frac{2l}{2l+1}\int sin^{2l-1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta[/tex]
    And since
    [tex]sin\left ( 0 \right )=sin\left ( \pi \right )=0[/tex]
    You are left only with:
    [tex]\int sin^{2l+1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta =\frac{2l}{2l+1}\int sin^{2l-1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta[/tex]
    Finally they just sort of "calculate" this recurrently, and you are left only with the product of coefficients on the right side before the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted