Normalization of a wavefunction

In summary, the conversation discusses a multi-choice question involving a particle in an infinite square well with a wavefunction of u(x) = A sin (3∏x/a). The question asks for the value of A if the wavefunction is normalized. The conversation also touches on the process of normalizing a wavefunction and the integration of the wavefunction over all space.
EmmaLemming

Homework Statement

This is a multi-choice question.

A particle of unit mass moving in an infinite square well,

V = 0 for lxl ≤ a
V = ∞ for lxl > a

is described by the wavefunction, u(x) = A sin (3∏x/a)

If the wavefunction is normalised, What is A?

a) 1/2a
b) 1/√2a
c) 1/√a

Homework Equations

I know that the integral of the wavefn squared is equal to 1 because it has to exist somewhere but when I tried integrating it, it either all went to 1 or ∞.

I know how to do this question, I just can't. An easy to follow mathematical proof would be most helpful.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am integrating between ∞ and -∞ is that correct?

so far I've got that

∫ A2 sin2 (3∏x/a) dx = 1

using the identity: cos (2x) = 1 - 2 sin2(x)

= A2/2 ∫ 1 - cos (6∏x/a) dx = 1

And now I'm stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
EmmaLemming said:
is described by the wavefunction, u(x) = A sin (3∏x/a)

You need to be careful here. This is not true for all x. Its in an infinite square well, so what will the wave function be outside of that well?

Ah ok, I thought the wave function wouldn't exist outside of the square well so the wave function would be zero..?

I got the sin (3∏x/a) wavefunction given to me in the question so I just took it as true.

yes, you're right. The wave function outside the square well is zero. and inside the well, it is sin (3∏x/a). Also, you were right that the integral is from -∞ to ∞. But what is the integrand for lxl > a ?

I don't know. This is just a guess would it be,

between 0 and a

∫ A sin (3∏x/a) dx

This is where I get confused, because I thought to do this question all I have to do is square the wavefunction and integrate between -∞ and ∞.

Is there another step before hand?

the wave function is A sin (3∏x/a) for lxl ≤ a and it is zero for lxl > a

So you do need to 'square the wavefunction and integrate between -∞ and ∞', but the wave function will be zero for lxl > a

In other words, you need to identify the different 'sections' and integrate each section, to get the integration over all space.

Sorry if I'm being slow and thanks for your help.

but would one of the sections be an integral between a and -a ?

Do I do that and then integrate between -∞ and ∞?

no worries. Yeah, one section would be from -a to a. The total integral is from -∞ to ∞, so what would the other sections be?

What is the concept of normalization of a wavefunction?

Normalization of a wavefunction is the process of ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. This is achieved by scaling the wavefunction to have a unit norm, or a total probability of 1.

Why is normalization of a wavefunction important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the wavefunction represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular state. Normalization ensures that the wavefunction is physically meaningful and that the total probability of finding the particle somewhere is equal to 1.

How is normalization of a wavefunction mathematically represented?

The normalization condition is expressed as the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all space, which must equal 1. This can be written as ∫|ψ(x)|^2dx = 1.

Can a wavefunction be normalized if it is complex?

Yes, a complex wavefunction can be normalized. The normalization process involves taking the square of the wavefunction, so the complex components will cancel out and the resulting wavefunction will be real.

What is the physical interpretation of a normalized wavefunction?

A normalized wavefunction represents the probability density of finding a particle in a particular state. This means that the square of the wavefunction at a specific point represents the probability of finding the particle at that point.