Normalization of the radial part of the spherical harmonics

In summary: I'm sorry, I can't read the rest of that.The equation 62.7 is in a context where ##C_2## is concluded to be zero. The argument goes on with ##C_1## for which you want to find the proper... uh, I'm sorry, I can't read the rest of that.
Taz
TL;DR Summary
How can i normalized the radial part of the Harmonic oscillator .
Im trying to solve the equation 62.7 of this numerical on mathematica. Whenever i try to normalized the function it shows function diverges. As the Bessel function contains trigonometry term so it diverges. I don't know how to solve the integral. Can i use the hydrogen atom wavefunction in exp form? But the question is that hydrogen atom equation is solved by laugurre polynomial and my problem contains legendar polynomial
D8F8769F-846E-45C7-9517-6908E9025E33.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AC3E8B1-7371-4CC7-838D-7153E85E75F2.jpeg
    7AC3E8B1-7371-4CC7-838D-7153E85E75F2.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 141
Physics news on Phys.org
You start by talking about the radial part of harmonic oscillator wavefunctions. Then you bring up using hydrogen radial wavefunctions. Finally, the picture you show us appears to be about particles confined within a sphere. We are going to need a little more clarity about what you're trying to do. Can you type up the exact integral you're trying to compute and the functions being used in that integral?

[edit] @BvU wants the details, too!

Likes vanhees71
Hello Taz, :welcome: !

I am confused:
  • your title is somewhat contradictory: Spherical harmonics don't have a radial part as far as I remember
  • your summary mentions a harmonic oscillator (can be treated as 3 independent 1D HO) and
  • your (badly photographed and barely legible) screen shot is about a particle in a sphere (so no integration beyond the radius is ever at hand).
Which is it to be ?

[edit]Ah, @Haborix noticed, too !

Likes vanhees71
Sorry for the inconvenience,.Its the sphere enclosed inside the infinite potential .Once we normalized the wavefunction the spherical harmonic(angular part) solved by kronecker delta but the radial part becomes difficult to solve as it contains bessel function (containing trigonometry terms) . So the wavefunction diverges due to limit from zero to infinity... so, in which way i can normalized this radial part shown in equation 62.7 . The image is poor i will try to replace it but lamda is the radial part and J shows bessel function.I hope its more clear now

Taz said:
limit from zero to infinity
Still don't understand. Why not integrate up to the radius ( i.e. a zero point of the Bessel function ##j## -- the ##y## fall off as non-physical ) ?

Taz said:
image is poor i will try to replace it
I'll wait for a PDF or a link to a PDF

I think I may see the problem. Equation 62.7 in the book, taken literally, doesn't make sense. Because you are studying a particle confined to a sphere of radius ##R##, the radial wavefunction must go to zero at ##R## and be zero for all ##r>R##. It is fair to say ##\int_0^\infty dr |u|^2=1##, but only with the understanding that $$u(r)=\begin{matrix}Cj_\ell(kr) && \text{for } r<R\\ 0 && \text{for } r\geq R \end{matrix}.$$ From this definition you can see the second integral of 62.7 is not correct.

Likes vanhees71
I am attaching the problem again with my hand written sol which explain what is my target
4C5A02D9-5C91-4211-BF17-D1F6D18F749A.jpeg
41F69FFC-5CFF-41A2-AF90-158F38ED2A74.jpeg
A021B77F-8B8F-4C51-985C-E5655D83BA5B.jpeg
D0CDA18B-DDA3-424A-A46A-5A0D4E8495A2.jpeg
4FACC5AB-FC0B-409A-8169-7F2CB74DFB0C.jpeg

Haborix said:
I think I may see the problem. Equation 62.7 in the book, taken literally, doesn't make sense. Because you are studying a particle confined to a sphere of radius ##R##, the radial wavefunction must go to zero at ##R## and be zero for all ##r>R##. It is fair to say ##\int_0^\infty dr |u|^2=1##, but only with the understanding that $$u(r)=\begin{matrix}Cj_\ell(kr) && \text{for } r<R\\ 0 && \text{for } r\geq R \end{matrix}.$$ From this definition you can see the second integral of 62.7 is not correct.

The 62. 7 equation is correct as its the radial part only the angular part is solved by kronecker delta. can you send me the link of equation you have written?as its confusing as i always thought that after normalization we can have 1 for same l,m and 0 for different l,m

Hello,
I am adding new photos .I want to solve the equation 62.7 of this problem. Its radial part diverges for zero to infinity limit. I don't know how they normalized that part. I want to do it in Mathematica
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic4.jpg

A link goes quite a long way too ...

OK, so now we can read that 62.7 is in a context where ##C_2## is concluded to be zero. The argument goes on with ##C_1## for which you want to find the proper normalizing value. The author wisely avoids the normalization issue and focuses on the energy levels.

But you want to make life difficult (Bravo!) and dig in deeper. If we drill to the core, your self-assigned mission is to integrate $$\chi_l^2(r) = {\pi k r\over2} |C_1|^2 J_{l+{1\over 2}}^2 (kr) \qquad\qquad (62.3) $$from zero to any of the points where $$ J_{l+{1\over 2}} (kR) = 0 \qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad (62.10) $$ and no further as @Haborix and I have tried to point out: beyond that, the potential function is infinite and the wave function is zero.

Should be a breeze for Matlab .

:smile:

[edit] oh, no: for mathematica. Don't know that program at all :frown:
[edit2] but google is everyone's friend and it looks promising

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes Taz and vanhees71

1. What is the radial part of the spherical harmonics?

The radial part of the spherical harmonics is a mathematical function that describes the variation of the wave amplitude with distance from the center of a spherical coordinate system. It is an important component in the solution of many physical problems, particularly in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is normalization of the radial part of the spherical harmonics important?

Normalization of the radial part of the spherical harmonics is important because it ensures that the wave function satisfies certain mathematical properties, such as having a finite total probability and being independent of the choice of coordinate system. It also allows for easier comparison and combination of different wave functions.

3. How is the radial part of the spherical harmonics normalized?

The radial part of the spherical harmonics is normalized by dividing it by a normalization constant, which is typically chosen to be the square root of the integral of the squared radial function over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in all space is equal to one.

4. What is the significance of the normalization constant in the radial part of the spherical harmonics?

The normalization constant in the radial part of the spherical harmonics is significant because it determines the overall scale of the wave function. It also affects the shape and behavior of the wave function, as it is dependent on the energy and angular momentum of the system.

5. How does normalization of the radial part of the spherical harmonics affect the physical interpretation of the wave function?

Normalization of the radial part of the spherical harmonics does not affect the physical interpretation of the wave function, as it only changes the overall scale and does not alter the shape or behavior of the wave function. However, it is a necessary mathematical step in order to ensure that the wave function is physically meaningful and satisfies certain properties.