Hydrogen atom (HELP ME FAST PLEASE)

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution for the ground state of the hydrogen atom. The speaker explains that the angular dependence can be suppressed, reducing the Schrodinger equation to a radial dependent equation with solutions of the form Ψ(r) = F(r)e^(-br). They mention using the normalization condition to determine the constant A, but are unsure of how to handle the other s-orbitals. The other person confirms the approach and explains that plugging the ground-state wave function into the Schrodinger equation will yield two equations to solve for the constants b and E. They also clarify that the two equations come from two terms in the Schrodinger equation.
aaaa202
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the solution for the ground state of the hydrogen-atom, however it is not going well.
As far as i know, you can supress the angular dependence, because the states of hydrogen (or at least some of them) are spherically harmonic.
This way the schr. equation just reduces to a radial dependent equation, which has the solutions:
Ψ(r) = F(r)e^(-br), where b is a constant and F(r) a power series (the laguerre polynomials), which determines the number of the s-orbital such that if i just look at the ground state F(r) reduces to a constant. Now, am I right so far?
Well, if so, I'm finding it a little hard to determine these constant. I read somewhere, that you can do it using the normalization condition for the wave function, but isn't Ψ(r) also dependent on the other s-orbitals or how am I to solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right so far. The ground state wave function looks like:
[tex]\psi(r) = A e^{-b r}[/tex]
Now plug this into the time-independent Schrodinger equation:
[tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 \psi(r)+\frac{e^2}{r}\psi(r) = E \psi(r)[/tex]
This should give you two equations that allow you to solve for E and b.
Then you determine A by requiring that the integral of |psi^2| over all space is equal to 1.

Hmm, I seem to be getting multiple results when try to solve for b. What do I do with those?
Just to get it straigt, what I'm supposed to do is plug the ground-state wave function into the schrödinger-equation and solve for b right?
But again, I'm likely to have made a typo on my calculator..

If you do it right, you will get one term proportional to e^-r, and a second term proportional to (e^-r)/r. These two terms will allow you to solve for b and E.

Now this i don't understand. Don't u just plug the wave function in the schrödinger-equation. How does that give you two equation?
EDIT: I think i get it now

Last edited:

Related to Hydrogen atom (HELP ME FAST PLEASE)

1. What is a hydrogen atom?

A hydrogen atom is the simplest atom and the building block of all matter. It consists of one proton in its nucleus and one electron orbiting around it.

2. What is the atomic structure of a hydrogen atom?

The atomic structure of a hydrogen atom includes a nucleus with one positively charged proton and one negatively charged electron orbiting around it in a single shell.

3. How is a hydrogen atom different from other atoms?

A hydrogen atom is different from other atoms because it only has one electron and one proton, making it the smallest and lightest atom. It is also the most abundant element in the universe.

4. What is the role of a hydrogen atom in chemistry?

Hydrogen atoms play a crucial role in chemistry as they are involved in many chemical reactions and can form bonds with other atoms to create molecules. They also make up important compounds such as water and many organic compounds.

5. How is a hydrogen atom used in energy production?

Hydrogen atoms are used in energy production through processes such as fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium and release a large amount of energy. Hydrogen fuel cells also use hydrogen atoms to produce electricity by combining them with oxygen.