1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not a simply connected contour

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a contour in the complex plane it is not simply connected, because it looks like two figure eights that overlap and intersect eachother. Now how do i evaluate an integral for such a contour?

2. Relevant equations

The question asks to evalute the contour shown for ∫dz/z-1.
    But the contour is not simply connected and we are not given a function for the contour only a picture. In addition the discontinuity at z=1 is inside the contour. So how can i evaluate it?

Is this a trick question or something?
    I thought we could only evaluate integrals when the contour is simply connected and we use a contour that does not contain the discontinuity?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    "Simply connected" would describe the domain, not the contour. I bet you mean the contour is not simple. You have to figure out the winding number of the contour around the point z=1. How many times does the contour wrap around z=1. Then you probably have a formula in your notes or book involving winding number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook