Not following one step for Ehrenfest's theorem

In summary, the author is evaluating the wavefunction at infinity and it is vanishing to get the second expression. However, by assuming the wavefunction vanishes at + and - infinity, he can get the evaluation of the product between +infinity and -infinity.
SamRoss
Gold Member
I was looking at this proof of Ehrenfest's theorem http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/lectures/node35.html

I'm confused about equation 158. It looks like the first term under the integral sign in the first expression is vanishing to obtain the second expression but I don't know why it should vanish. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
wavefunction is usually assumed to vanish at infinity.

kof9595995 said:
wavefunction is usually assumed to vanish at infinity.

right, but in the proof the author was not evaluating the wavefunction at infinity. It was still under the integral sign. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't just let the wavefunction vanish every time you see it under the integral sign. If that were the case then normalizing would be impossible because you would always get zero instead of one.

He is evaluating it at infinity, be careful it's an integration over a differentiation.

It was a total derivative under the integral sign. By integrating, you get to evaluate the product of derivatives at +- infinity, where it will be zero, if psi is a Schwartz function.

Well the integral of d/dx(f(x)) w.r.t. x is just f(x), by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. So we get the evaluation of f(x) between +infinity and -inifinity.

Here the author assumes that the wavefunction vanishes at + and - infinity, i.e. limx->+infinity(psi) = limx-> -infinity(psi) = 0. If you draw this on a graph, you should be able to see that the derivatives of psi and psi* tend to 0 as x tends to +infinite and as x tends to -infinity. These facts can be proven easily using calculus.

Since both terms tend to 0 as x tends to + infinity and as x tends to - infinity, the AOL shows immediately that the product tends to 0 as we take the limits x->+infinity and x-> - infinity.

Surprised I missed that. Thanks everyone for your input.

1. What is Ehrenfest's theorem and why is it important?

Ehrenfest's theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system to its classical counterpart. It allows us to connect the behavior of microscopic particles to the macroscopic world, making it an essential concept in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What happens if one step is not followed in Ehrenfest's theorem?

If one step is not followed in Ehrenfest's theorem, the resulting equations may not accurately describe the behavior of the system. This can lead to incorrect predictions and a lack of understanding of the system's behavior.

3. Can Ehrenfest's theorem be applied to all quantum mechanical systems?

While Ehrenfest's theorem is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of many quantum systems, it does have limitations. It is most applicable to systems that are in thermal equilibrium and do not involve interactions with other systems. In more complex systems, other mathematical frameworks may be necessary.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Ehrenfest's theorem?

Yes, Ehrenfest's theorem has numerous applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum chemistry, and nuclear physics. It has been used to study the behavior of electrons in materials, the dynamics of chemical reactions, and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Ehrenfest's theorem?

One common misconception is that Ehrenfest's theorem can accurately describe the behavior of all quantum systems. As mentioned earlier, it has limitations and may not be applicable in certain cases. Another misconception is that it can be used to predict the exact behavior of a system, whereas it only provides a general understanding of the system's dynamics.