Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NPT monte carlo simulation pressure calculation

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I have been working on an NPT monte carlo simulation. I would like to know how I can measure the instantaneous pressure of the system at each monte carlo step?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3
    I am applying periodic boundary conditions, and my atoms are sitting on their lattice sites (pretty much). I am trying to figure out the optimum lattice constant for a given pressure and temperature. However, I would like to "monitor" the pressure of the system as a function of monte carlo steps. In NVT monte carlo simulations, even the system reaches a thermal equilibrium with the heat bath, there is still fluctuations in temperature in the system (not the heat bath) besides energy fluctuations. Similar thing is also true for NPT, but I don't exactly know how to measure those fluctuations in NPT monte carlo simulation. I am digging something that has to do with virial, but not sure how to use it at the moment.

5. Jul 8, 2014 #4
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted