1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nth Derivatives and Taylor Polynomials

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if [itex]f^{(n)}(x_0)[/itex] and [itex]g^{(n)}(x_0) [/itex] exist and
    [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x)-g(x)}{(x-x_0)^n} = 0 [/itex] then
    [itex]f^{(r)}(x_0) = g^{(r)}(x_0), 0 \leq r \leq n [/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    If f is differentiable then [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-T_n(x)}{(x-x_0)^n}=0 [/itex], where Tn is the nth Taylor polynomial.

3. The attempt at a solution I'm stuck on how to start the proof at all. I tried induction on r, but didn't get very far with that since I had trouble showing that [itex]f(x_0) = g(x_0)[/itex]. Any ideas on what direction to go to get started?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    Let's get you started here. First, you can regard f(x) and g(x) as the 0th derivatives, so that [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x) - g(x)}{(x-x_0)^0} = 0 \Rightarrow f(x_0) -g(x_0) = 0[/tex] so we have [tex]f(x_0) = g(x_0)[/tex]

For the first derivatives we have [tex] \frac {f(x)-f(x_0) -(g(x) - g(x_0))}{x-x_0} = \frac {f(x) -(g(x) }{x-x_0} \rightarrow 0 \hspace{50px}(1)[/tex]

But the limit in (1) also goes to [tex]f'(x_0) - g'(x_0)[/tex]

We conclude that [tex]f'(x_0) = g'(x_0)[/tex]

If you were going to use this method to prove the result for f'' and g'' you could repeat the above argument for f' and g' instead of f and g. Does this tell you how to do the induction step?

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    I understand how this works for the 0th derivative and first derivative, but I am having trouble seeing how it would work for the second and higher derivatives. What confuses me is the exponent on [itex](x-x_0)^n[/itex].

For the second derivative I am writing[itex]\frac{f'(x)-f'(x_0)-(g'(x)-g'(x_0))}{(x-x_0)}[/itex] and using [itex]f'(x)=g'(x)[/itex] and using the defintion of the second derivative, but then I don't have [itex](x-x_0)^2[/itex] in the denominator or and f(x) or g(x) on top. Do I have to multiply through by something to get those to appear?

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    Ah, actually I think I see how those appear. I broke down the first derivative the one step further into limit form.

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5
    Sorry, I wrote this carelessly. When you go back to the definition of f' and g' your original hypothesis should appear. If you can show that [tex]f''(x_0) = g''(x_0)[/tex] then you can see how to do the induction step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted