Prove a statement regarding differentiable mv-function

In summary: You are given that $$\lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0.$$Multiply top and bottom by ##\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}##: $$f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0) = \sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}\cdot \frac{
lep11

Homework Statement

Let ##f##: ##G\subset\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## be differentiable at ##(x_0,y_0)\in{G}## and ## \lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0.## The task is to prove that then ##a=f(x_0,y_0),b=f_x(x_0,y_0)## and ##c=f_y(x_0,y_0)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since ##f## is differentiable at ##(x_0,y_0)##, there exists a linear function ##L## such that

$$\lim_{(h_1, h_2) \to (0, 0)} \frac{f(x_0 + h_1, y_0 + h_2) - f(x_0, y_0) - L(h_1,
h_2)}{\sqrt{h_1^{2} + h_2^{2}}} = 0,$$where

$$
L(h_1, h_2) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)\, h_1 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)\, h_2.
$$Now we can substitute ##L(h_1,h_2)## in and get

$$\lim_{(h_1, h_2) \to (0, 0)} \frac{f(x_0 + h_1, y_0 + h_2) - f(x_0, y_0) - \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)\, h_1 - \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)h_2}{\sqrt{h_1^{2} + h_2^{2}}} = 0,$$
which is equivalent to $$ \lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -f(x_0,y_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)(x-x_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0,$$because ##(x-x_0)\rightarrow{0}## and ##(y-y_0)\rightarrow{0}## as ##(x,y)\rightarrow(x_0,y_0)##.

Therefore it must (?) hold that ##f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)=f(x,y) -f(x_0,y_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)(x-x_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)(y-y_0)##

which implies (?) that ##a=f(x_0,y_0),b=f_x(x_0,y_0)## and ##c=f_y(x_0,y_0)##. I am thinking that maybe my proof is wrong and based too much on intuition rather than formal mathematical reasoning. I am asking for comments and tips on how to possibly modify or rewrite it in case it's not correct. There may be other approaches to this problem as well. I will appreciate your answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation has to hold in an entire neighborhood of ##(x_0,y_0)##. So you may vary ##(x,y)## and regard limits ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0}\, , \, \lim_{y \rightarrow y_0}##.

fresh_42 said:
The equation has to hold in an entire neighborhood of ##(x_0,y_0)##. So you may vary ##(x,y)## and regard limits ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0}\, , \, \lim_{y \rightarrow y_0}##.
Could you please elaborate? Is there something to correct?

lep11 said:
Could you please elaborate? Is there something to correct?
No, it looks o.k. to me. If you take the equation after "Therefore it must (?) hold that" and after subtracting ##f(x,y)## first apply the limit ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0}##, then ##\lim_{y \rightarrow y_0}## you get two conditions, for ##b## and then for ##c## and finally for ##a##.

lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f##: ##G\subset\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## be differentiable at ##(x_0,y_0)\in{G}## and ## \lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0.## The task is to prove that then ##a=f(x_0,y_0),b=f_x(x_0,y_0)## and ##c=f_y(x_0,y_0)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since ##f## is differentiable at ##(x_0,y_0)##, there exists a linear function ##L## such that

$$\lim_{(h_1, h_2) \to (0, 0)} \frac{f(x_0 + h_1, y_0 + h_2) - f(x_0, y_0) - L(h_1,
h_2)}{\sqrt{h_1^{2} + h_2^{2}}} = 0,$$where

$$
L(h_1, h_2) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)\, h_1 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)\, h_2.
$$Now we can substitute ##L(h_1,h_2)## in and get

$$\lim_{(h_1, h_2) \to (0, 0)} \frac{f(x_0 + h_1, y_0 + h_2) - f(x_0, y_0) - \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)\, h_1 - \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)h_2}{\sqrt{h_1^{2} + h_2^{2}}} = 0,$$
which is equivalent to $$ \lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -f(x_0,y_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)(x-x_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0,$$because ##(x-x_0)\rightarrow{0}## and ##(y-y_0)\rightarrow{0}## as ##(x,y)\rightarrow(x_0,y_0)##.

Therefore it must (?) hold that ##f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)=f(x,y) -f(x_0,y_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y)(x-x_0) -\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)(y-y_0)##

which implies (?) that ##a=f(x_0,y_0),b=f_x(x_0,y_0)## and ##c=f_y(x_0,y_0)##. I am thinking that maybe my proof is wrong and based too much on intuition rather than formal mathematical reasoning. I am asking for comments and tips on how to possibly modify or rewrite it in case it's not correct. There may be other approaches to this problem as well. I will appreciate your answers.

Your agrument is OK, but really assumes more than you need. Assuming ONLY that
$$\lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0$$
for some finite constants ##a,b,c## (but not assuming differentiability, or even continuity), you can prove that ##f## is continuous at ##(x_0,y_0)##, that ##a = f(x_0,y_0)##, that partial derivatives ##f_x, f_y## exist at ##(x_0,y_0)##, and that they are, respectively, equal to ##b, c##. The condition you assumed to start is essentially one of the definitions of differentiability at ##(x_0,y_0)##, so the differentiability assumption is redundant, at least in certain approaches to the topic.

My preferred type of argument would be to write
$$f(x,y) = a + b (x-x_0) + c(y - y_0) + e(x,y),$$
where ##e(x,y) = o(\|(x-x_0,y-y_0)\|)##, meaning that ##e(x,y)/\|(x=x_0,y-y_0)\| \to 0## as ##(x,y) \to (x_0,y_0)##. So, taking ##(x,y) \to (x_0,y_0)## we get ##f(x,y) \to a = f(x_0,y_0)##, hence ##f## is continuous at ##(x_0,y_0)##. Then we have ##[f(x_0+h,y_0)-f(x_0,y_0)]/h \to b## as ##x-x_0 = h \to 0##, so ##f_x(x_0,y_0)## exists and equals ##b##, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
Your agrument is OK, but really assumes more than you need. Assuming ONLY that
$$\lim_{(x, y) \to (x_0, y_0)} \frac{f(x,y) -a -b(x-x_0) -c(y-y_0)}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^{2} + (y-y_0)^{2}}} = 0$$
for some finite constants ##a,b,c## (but not assuming differentiability, or even continuity), you can prove that ##f## is continuous at ##(x_0,y_0)##, that ##a = f(x_0,y_0)##, that partial derivatives ##f_x, f_y## exist at ##(x_0,y_0)##, and that they are, respectively, equal to ##b, c##. The condition you assumed to start is essentially one of the definitions of differentiability at ##(x_0,y_0)##, so the differentiability assumption is redundant, at least in certain approaches to the topic.

My preferred type of argument would be to write
$$f(x,y) = a + b (x-x_0) + c(y - y_0) + e(x,y)$$
where ##e(x,y) = o(\|(x-x_0,y-y_0)\|)##, meaning that ##e(x,y)/\|(x=x_0,y-y_0)\| \to 0## as ##(x,y) \to (x_0,y_0)##. So, taking ##(x,y) \to (x_0,y_0)## we get ##f(x,y) \to a = f(x_0,y_0)##, hence ##f## is continuous at ##(x_0,y_0)##. Then we have ##[f(x_0+h,y_0)-f(x_0,y_0)]/h \to b## as ##x-x_0 = h \to 0##, so ##f_x(x_0,y_0)## exists and equals ##b##, etc.
Why can you write $$f(x,y) = a + b (x-x_0) + c(y - y_0) + e(x,y)?$$ And I assume I'm supposed to use the fact that ##f## is differentiable since it's given in the problem statement. Thank you for the alternative approach,though. I will try that one also.

lep11 said:
Why can you write $$f(x,y) = a + b (x-x_0) + c(y - y_0) + e(x,y)?$$ And I assume I'm supposed to use the fact that ##f## is differentiable since it's given in the problem statement. Thank you for the alternative approach,though. I will try that one also.

Because the numerator ##f(x,y) -a - bx - cy## is some function of ##(x,y)##, and I can call it ##e(x,y)##. The letter "e" is reminiscent of "error"---as in "error in the linear approximation".

I already said that what you did was OK, but the fact that somebody told you to use differentiablility was unnecessary. However, since they told you to do it, you have no real choice.

1. What is a differentiable mv-function?

A differentiable mv-function is a mathematical function that is defined on multiple variables (mv) and has a continuous derivative at every point within its domain. In simpler terms, it is a function that can be differentiated at every point in its input space.

2. How do you prove a statement about a differentiable mv-function?

To prove a statement about a differentiable mv-function, you must use the definition of differentiability and show that the function has a continuous derivative at every point within its domain. This can be done by analyzing the function's limit, continuity, and differentiability conditions.

3. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable but not continuous. Differentiability implies continuity, meaning that if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point.

4. What is the difference between a differentiable mv-function and a continuously differentiable mv-function?

A differentiable mv-function is a function that has a continuous derivative at every point within its domain. A continuously differentiable mv-function is a function that not only has a continuous derivative at every point, but also has a continuous first derivative. This means that the function's derivative is also differentiable at every point within its domain.

5. How is the differentiability of a mv-function useful in real-world applications?

The differentiability of a mv-function is useful in real-world applications because it allows us to understand how small changes in the input variables affect the output of the function. This is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where precise calculations and predictions are necessary. Differentiability also enables us to use optimization techniques to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.