Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear engineering grad school advice and future

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    I am from India and i have a bachelors in mechanical engineering. I have recently given my GRE and TOEFL with scores of 313/340 (161-quant & 152-verbal & 3.5-AWA) in gre & 110/120 in TOEFL. I am planning for MS and probably PHD in nuclear engineering. I am not interested in either hydraulics or computational work. I have an inclination for materials, reactor designs and fusion technology and even waste treatment and disposal. Also, i have a problem of color blindness and that has caused a lot of problem for me to get a job in India after my mechanical engineering. I was wondering if this is going to cause a problem for me in the future after getting an MS or PHD in US.
    Also here is a list of colleges that i am considering for further studies:-
    university of Michigan, ann arbor
    texas A&M, college station,
    university of california, Berkeley
    pennsylvania state university,
    georgia institute of technology,
    north carolina state
    university of wisconsin, madison
    also,
    outside USA:-
    ETH & EPFL, Switzerland

PS- please suggest the best college for me out of these or any others through the points of knowledge and job guarantee after the course.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    This is awesome. The website is very helpful. However, i recently heard that Wisconsin was good for hydraulics and plasma research and i'm not sure about its international students' intake.

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4
    North Carolina state has excellent faculty in Plasma physics/ fusion technology. Also they are expanding their nuclear materials faculty. I got my MS from there and they do cater to people from other disciplines; the even have a course for people with non-nuclear bachelors degree holders.

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    thanx for the reply. :approve: I would be applying to North Carolina state as i have a great interest in the fusion technology. Can comment on the placement cell of North Carolina state ?
    Are there any opportunities for International students to work in US after completing their MS in Nuclear engineering ?

7. Aug 30, 2012 #6
    Raleigh is a really nice smaller city with lots to do. It is also about 3 hours from the ocean and the mountains (in opposite directions) Duke energy has a presence in Raleigh and is headquartered in Charlotte (NC) so there are good job opportunities. Also GE has fuel fabrication in Wilmington (NC).

8. Sep 1, 2012 #7
    Thanx for the big help, bro.. :smile:.

9. Oct 4, 2012 #8

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Oct 4, 2012 #9
    Not many students do it. The few who I met who do it are funding themselves since there isn't much time to do research/TA between the two degrees. I'd recommend staying away from it and just go for Masters and/or PhD in Nuclear Engineering at UTK.

Also, the scope of the industry in terms of jobs? Can you clarify that question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook