Nuclear Fission - Calculations of Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Lissajoux
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Example nuclear fission:

[tex]{}_{92}^{235}U+{}_{0}^{1}n \rightarrow {}_{38}^{90}Sr+{}_{54}^{163}Xe+10{}_{0}^{1}n+Q[/tex]

How much energy does such fission release?

Homework Equations



I'm given the values of [itex]M({}^{235}U), m_{n}, M({}^{90}Sr), M({}^{136}Xe)[/itex] but I've not listed them here.

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought that Q(energy) = energy in final state - energy in initial state. I.e. that:

[tex]Q={}_{38}^{90}Sr+{}_{54}^{163}Xe+9{}_{0}^{1}n -{}_{92}^{235}U[/tex]

But this gives me a negative answer, of around [itex]-0.15u[/itex]. I thought that it should be positive, unless this is just from how I've set out the equation and can just say it's positive. Done a few things similar to this, but still rather confused with getting the hang of it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To get it straight just remember that you are conserving energy, so [tex]E_i = E_f[/tex]. Using this you get:

[tex]U+n = Sr+Xe+10n+Q[/tex]

[tex]Q = (U+n)-(Sr+Xe+10n)[/tex]

So, Q = (initial masses) - (final masses). Now it will be positive, meaning energy was released during this reaction. It all depends on where you put the Q in the reaction formula. It would be the other way around if Q was on the initial side (meaning it takes energy to perform the reaction).