1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nuclear Fission - Calculations of Energy

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Example nuclear fission:

[tex]{}_{92}^{235}U+{}_{0}^{1}n \rightarrow {}_{38}^{90}Sr+{}_{54}^{163}Xe+10{}_{0}^{1}n+Q[/tex]

How much energy does such fission release?

2. Relevant equations

I'm given the values of [itex]M({}^{235}U), m_{n}, M({}^{90}Sr), M({}^{136}Xe)[/itex] but I've not listed them here.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that Q(energy) = energy in final state - energy in initial state. I.e. that:

[tex]Q={}_{38}^{90}Sr+{}_{54}^{163}Xe+9{}_{0}^{1}n -{}_{92}^{235}U[/tex]

But this gives me a negative answer, of around [itex]-0.15u[/itex]. I thought that it should be positive, unless this is just from how I've set out the equation and can just say it's positive. Done a few things similar to this, but still rather confused with getting the hang of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    To get it straight just remember that you are conserving energy, so [tex]E_i = E_f[/tex]. Using this you get:

[tex]U+n = Sr+Xe+10n+Q[/tex]

[tex]Q = (U+n)-(Sr+Xe+10n)[/tex]

So, Q = (initial masses) - (final masses). Now it will be positive, meaning energy was released during this reaction. It all depends on where you put the Q in the reaction formula. It would be the other way around if Q was on the initial side (meaning it takes energy to perform the reaction).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook