Nuclear fusion and anti-nuclear technology

In summary, this thread is about the pros and cons of nuclear energy. Long term, nuclear energy creates more problems than solutions. It doesn't appear that there is any alternative to nuclear energy at this point, although scientists are working on various ways to make it more efficient. There is a chance for nuclear fusion technology to power our homes and businesses in the near future, but it is still a research topic.
thewowsignal
TL;DR Summary
Is there any alternative to nuclear energy? Long term, nuclear energy creates more problems than solutions. For many decades mankind has been trying to develop more efficient way of producing energy and tackle nuclear waste. Many scientific teams around the world hope to make some progress in this area. Is there any chance for nuclear fussion technology to power our homes and businesses in the near future? Is there any chance for nuclear power plants to become obsolete?
I want to start a serious discussion here about our future on this small planet. This thread is especially dedicated to those of you, who are enthusiastic about atomic energy and energy crisis.

Engineering news on Phys.org
thewowsignal said:
Long term, nuclear energy creates more problems than solutions.
Does it?

Likes russ_watters
thewowsignal said:
Is there any alternative to nuclear energy?
A lot of renewables or renewables plus a lot of energy storage should work in most places. The transition won't be cheap, however.
thewowsignal said:
Long term, nuclear energy creates more problems than solutions.
It doesn't.

Fusion (which is nuclear power, too) could get a significant share towards the end of the century, but it won't be the replacement for fossil fuels in most places. It could replace fission nuclear power plants and/or renewables.

Likes russ_watters
For many decades many people talk about renewable energy. Not much was done to this very day, I have not doubt that many of those educated and talking heads in fact want the opposite. There was a very good time about thirty years ago to boost renewable energy revolution, but it all failed, for some reason. I know there are a few small countries, which are based on renewables, like wind turbines, solar panels, etc. But I think it is rather a joke and a cover rather than a real long-term solution. The way people live their lives makes their countries not renewable in terms of energy consumption.

Nuclear power plants are no long-term solution, in my opinion. I am neither a scientist nor an expert, but I realize that nuclear waste has always been a huge problem. The technology used for decades is by definition not renewable. Nuclear energy must become obsolete one day for "homo sapiens" to survive on such a small planet in enormously big Universe.

In my opinion a couple of fusion reactors are already under construction and will be operational soon, to tackle constantly growing global energy crisis.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy, malawi_glenn and Motore
There are no fusion power plants currently under construction. It is still a research topic.

Without better batteries and transmission than we have now, most grids require some “fueled” power generation to meet surge/peak/nighttime demand.

Likes topsquark and russ_watters
thewowsignal said:
In my opinion a couple of fusion reactors are already under construction and will be operational soon
How can this be an opinion?

Likes hutchphd, topsquark, russ_watters and 2 others
First, we already have a thread on this. It's named, The Nuclear Power Thread. Don't know how much easier to find one could make it.

Second, we have "serious discussion" and "I am no[t] an expert". How is this going to work exactly? We allow one non-expert only, and that non-expert can spout off ill-informed opinions, but everybody else needs to be serious?

Finally we have "opinions" which are empirically verifiable. As they say "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Likes FinBurger, hutchphd, topsquark and 3 others
Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes topsquark and malawi_glenn
thewowsignal said:
TL;DR Summary: Is there any alternative to nuclear energy? Long term, nuclear energy creates more problems than solutions. For many decades mankind has been trying to develop more efficient way of producing energy and tackle nuclear waste. Many scientific teams around the world hope to make some progress in this area. Is there any chance for nuclear fussion technology to power our homes and businesses in the near future? Is there any chance for nuclear power plants to become obsolete?

I want to start a serious discussion here about our future on this small planet. This thread is especially dedicated to those of you, who are enthusiastic about atomic energy and energy crisis.

After a Mentor discussion, this thread will remain closed.

@thewowsignal -- please keep in mind that thread starts in the technical PF forums need to be based on the mainstream literature, not opinions, and you should always include links to reputable sources when starting threads in the technical forums. Also realize that there is the existing Nuclear Power thread that was pointed out to you already. General comments about Nuclear Power may best fit in that thread, but to the extent that you want to discuss a different or more specific aspect of Nuclear Power, you can start a new thread in the Nuclear Engineering forum as long as you include reputable references that you have been reading, and ask specific questions about those references. Thanks.

And thank you to the other posters in this thread who tried to help the OP. :smile:

Likes dlgoff, Wrichik Basu, Bystander and 4 others

1. What is nuclear fusion and how does it differ from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars. In contrast, nuclear fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, also releasing energy.

2. What are the potential benefits of nuclear fusion technology?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless supply of clean energy. It produces no greenhouse gases or long-lasting radioactive waste, making it a more environmentally friendly alternative to fossil fuels. It also requires much less fuel compared to nuclear fission, reducing the risk of nuclear accidents.

3. What are the challenges and limitations of achieving nuclear fusion?

One of the major challenges of nuclear fusion is the extremely high temperatures and pressures required to initiate and sustain the reaction. These conditions are difficult to achieve and maintain, and currently, no fusion reactor has been able to produce more energy than it consumes. Additionally, the materials used in fusion reactors must be able to withstand the extreme conditions, which is still a major technological hurdle.

4. What is anti-nuclear technology and how does it work?

Anti-nuclear technology refers to methods and strategies used to prevent or mitigate the negative impacts of nuclear energy, including accidents and the disposal of nuclear waste. This can include improved safety protocols, advanced reactor designs, and the development of alternative energy sources.

5. What are the potential risks and controversies surrounding nuclear fusion and anti-nuclear technology?

Some of the potential risks associated with nuclear fusion include the release of radioactive materials and the potential for accidents or malfunctions. Additionally, there are concerns about the disposal of radioactive waste and the proliferation of nuclear weapons. There is also controversy surrounding the use of nuclear energy as a whole, with some advocating for its complete abandonment while others see it as a necessary part of our energy mix.