1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear / Particle Phys Notation quick q spin, parity,J

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When we use ##J^{/pm} ## where ##/pm## gives the parity, some sources say ##J## is the spin and some say the total angular momentum, I'm confused !

Also in my notes we have ##P=(-1)^l##, but looking on this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/quick-question-about-spin-parity-j-p-notation.455873/ it has ##P=-1^{spin}##.???

Also confused with some other notation.. when we write ## ^{J} l_{symbol _s}##, where ##J## is the total angular momentuum, ##s## is the spin and ##l_{symbol}## is ##s,p,d,f..## corresponding to ##l=0,1,2...##.

So looking at things such as ##^{3}D_{1}## I see we have ##l=2, s=1, J=3## and we know ##J=(l+s)+...+##modulus of ##(l-s)##*

BUT looking at ##^{3}S_{1}## we have ##l=0,s=1,J=3## . Which I'm confused how you get ##J=3## from *..

Thanks in advance..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2
    bummp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted