1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of Angular Momentum for identical particles

1. Jun 20, 2017 #1
    This is the problem I'm trying to understand:

Consider two particles with spin 1 without orbital angular momentum. If they are distinguishable, from the rule of addition of angular momentum applied to spin, we'll have states of total spin [itex]j=0,1,2[/itex]. If we have, however, identical particles which are the possible states?

In textbooks, the addition of angular momentum is never treated in terms of distinguishable and identical particles, at least I don't recall it. The way I would approach this problem is to acknowledge that the possible total spin would be [itex]j=0,1,2[/itex] and then, from the state [itex]|-1\rangle |-1\rangle[/itex], I would use the ladder operator to build all the other four states compatible with [itex]j=2[/itex].

How do I build the states for [itex]j=0,1[/itex]? The state [itex]|j=1,m_{j}=-1\rangle[/itex] must be built from the same states as [itex]|j=2,m_{j}=-1\rangle[/itex], that is, [itex]|-1\rangle |0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|0\rangle |-1\rangle[/itex]. So how are they any different?

Thank you very much.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is important for distinguishable particles is that the total state is (anti-)symmetric (depending on Bose/Fermi statistics). You need to take the spin state into account as well as the spatial wave function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted