1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Physics: charmed baryons

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hi,

So I have this problem about baryons:

The lightest charmed baryons have quark compositions cab with zero angular momentum (L_12 = L_3 = 0) where c is the charmed quark and a & b can be any of the light quarks (u, d, s).

Show that the resulting states can be classified into 3 families:

(1) 1/2+ baryons in which the light quark pair ab has spin = 0

(2) 1/2+ baryons in which the light quark pair ab has spin = 1

(3) 3/2+ baryons in which the light quark pair ab has spin = 1

I have no idea how to do this. I have what might be the worst professor on earth for my nuclear physics class, who literally rambles on for an hour and write random stuff on the board without explaining sh*t. It's extremely frustrating. I do have a basic knowledge of quarks however, and their different flavors and properties.

If someone could simply set me on the right track (for #1) so I could continue on my own, I would be infinitely grateful.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2
    Hi, erogard. Each quarks (u,d,s,c) has spin 1/2 , so the first two light quarks can combine into 2 groups, that is spin 1 and 0. For group of spin 0, baryons with spin 1/2 can be formed by combining with c quark. For group of spin 1, we can form baryons spin 1-1/2=1/2 and 1+1/2=3/2.

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If awantae's response seems confusing, you want to review the addition of angular momenta in quantum mechanics. Your QM text probably explicitly works out the case for two spin-1/2 particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook