Number of atoms that fill fit into 1cm^3

• Thread starter paulhunn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Fit
In summary, the individual has been given a set of questions as a pre-course task for their physics AS level and is seeking verification on their calculations. One of the questions involves determining the number of atoms that can fit into a 1cm^3 space with a given diameter. Through calculations, they found that with 100% efficiency, 1.90985932 × 10^24 atoms would fit, but using the Kepler conjecture for cubic packing, the maximum efficiency is 74%, resulting in 1.41329589 × 10^24 atoms. The individual also asked for clarification on the concept of packing spheres more tightly than cubes. Other participants in the conversation confirmed that the individual's calculations were correct.
paulhunn
I have been given a set of questions as a pre-course task for my physics AS level and i would be very grateful if somone could check my working and tell me if I'm on the right track.
One of the questions is how many atoms (with a given diameter of 0.0000001mm) can you fit into a 1cm^3 space. To work this out i began by calculating the volume of a single atom using the formula 4/3 pi r^3.
The answer for this came to 5.235987756*10^-25. Following this i calculated that with 100% efficiency 1.90985932 × 10^24 atoms would fit into the space. Then using the Kepler conjecture which says that you can pack spheres into a cube with a maximum efficency of 74% took 74% of the previous value which came to 1.41329589 × 10^24 atoms.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
How tightly can you pack spheres? Is it possible to pack them more tightly than cubes with sides equal to the diameter of the spheres? The outside shape of the container should only affect the spheres on the perimeter.

What do you mean pack them more tightly than cubes? The question is how many will fit into a 1cm^3 space which is a cube so i don't see how else i could do it. I'm probably wrong though so i would appreciate some clarification

I mis-understood your post. I thought you meant packing spheres in a cube formation, but I think you mean cubic packing, which is the 74% packing density you stated. At the boundaries of the actual cube, the cubic patterns may not be complete, unless the cube size was an exact multiple of the cubes formed by the cubic patterns (two pyramid shapes placed back to back), but this would only affect the total by a very small amount.

paulhunn said:
I have been given a set of questions as a pre-course task for my physics AS level and i would be very grateful if somone could check my working and tell me if I'm on the right track.
Correct all the way.

Ok thanks Jeff and Gokul43201!

What is the formula for calculating the number of atoms that can fit into 1cm^3?

The formula for calculating the number of atoms that can fit into 1cm^3 is given by:
Number of atoms = (Avogadro's number * Density of the substance)/Molar mass of the substance

What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number, denoted by the symbol "NA", is a constant that represents the number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions) in one mole of a substance. It is approximately equal to 6.022 x 10^23.

How is the density of a substance determined?

The density of a substance is determined by measuring its mass and volume, and then using the formula:
Density = Mass/Volume

What is the molar mass of a substance?

The molar mass of a substance is the mass of one mole of that substance. It is typically measured in grams per mole (g/mol).

Why is the number of atoms that can fit into 1cm^3 an important concept in chemistry?

The number of atoms that can fit into 1cm^3 is an important concept in chemistry because it helps us understand the arrangement of atoms in a substance, as well as its physical and chemical properties. It is also used in various calculations and experiments, such as determining the concentration of a solution or understanding the behavior of gases.