1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of reflections undergone by light ray between 2 plane mirrors

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    Sir,
    Two plane mirrors M1 and M2 have a length of 2 meters each and are 10 cm apart. A ray of light is incident on one end of mirror M2 at an angle of 30 degrees. What is the number of reflections light undergoes before reaching the other end?
    I solved it in the following way:
    In each reflection the distance moved = 10 x tan(30)
    = 5.77 cm
    Therefore the number of reflections before it reaches
    the other end = 200/5.77
    = 34
    But the answer given in my book is 170. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your answer and method make sense to me; the book's answer does not.

4. Jun 6, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would also agree with you here. I obtained answer identical to yours Amith (34.64...) which rounds to 34 reflections. It seems your 'textbook' is making a significant number of errors. If you don't mind me asking what text are you reading from?

5. Jun 6, 2006 #4
    Sir,
    I kindly request you all to tolerate the erroneous questions of my book. There are about 150 questions in each unit out of which say about 7 to 8 questions have wrong answers. That is why I am still using it. I hope to get it corrected with your help.Thanks for your guidance.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?