let m|d, n|d and gcd(m,n) = 1. show mn|d

Homework Equations

gcd(m,n) = d = mx + ny for x and y in integers

The Attempt at a Solution

d = mr
d = ns
1 = mx + ny
1 = (d/r)x + (d/s)y
I don't know, a bit lost, just moving stuff around and not making any real progress. Any tips?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

let m|d, n|d and gcd(m,n) = 1. show mn|d

Homework Equations

gcd(m,n) = d = mx + ny for x and y in integers

The Attempt at a Solution

d = mr
d = ns
1 = mx + ny
1 = (d/r)x + (d/s)y
I don't know, a bit lost, just moving stuff around and not making any real progress. Any tips?
Have you tried thinking about some of these problems in terms of the prime factorizations of m, n and d?

Likes PsychonautQQ
jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
d = mr
d = ns
1 = mx + ny
So far so good. These three equations are all you need. Hint for the next step: try multiplying the last equation by ##d##.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Have you tried thinking about some of these problems in terms of the prime factorizations of m, n and d?
I have not tried thinking about this way. If n|d and m|d, we know that m and n each contain at least one prime that is also in the prime factorization of d. However, this does not mean we can conclude that mn|d does it? What if the only common prime in the factorization of m, n, and d is p, that would mean mn contains p^2 which wouldn't divide d's lone p.

Am I missing something?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have not tried thinking about this way. If n|d and m|d, we know that m and n each contain at least one prime that is also in the prime factorization of d. However, this does not mean we can conclude that mn|d does it? What if the only common prime in the factorization of m, n, and d is p, that would mean mn contains p^2 which wouldn't divide d's lone p.

Am I missing something?
The idea is that if gcd(m,n)=1 then m and n have no prime factor in common. Do you see how the proof would go from there? Proving it with jbunniii's hint is actually easier to write down. I just find it easier to think in terms of prime factors.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Yeah, I solved it with regards to jbunnii's hint, wish I would have seen it myself >.<. Right, gcd(m,n) = 1 so they each have a unique prime that divides d, so nm|d. Thanks man, I I appreciate ya'll being so patient with me.