Number theory GCD relatively prime question

In summary, the homework statement states that gcd(m,n) = d = mx + ny for x and y in integers. The attempt at a solution is to find d by multiplying the last equation by ##d##. If n|d and m|d, then m and n each contain a prime that is also in the prime factorization of d. However, this does not mean mn|d does it. If the only common prime in the factorization of m, n, and d is p, then mn contains p^2 which wouldn't divide d's lone p.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

let m|d, n|d and gcd(m,n) = 1. show mn|d

Homework Equations

gcd(m,n) = d = mx + ny for x and y in integers

The Attempt at a Solution

d = mr
d = ns
1 = mx + ny
1 = (d/r)x + (d/s)y
I don't know, a bit lost, just moving stuff around and not making any real progress. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

let m|d, n|d and gcd(m,n) = 1. show mn|d

Homework Equations

gcd(m,n) = d = mx + ny for x and y in integers

The Attempt at a Solution

d = mr
d = ns
1 = mx + ny
1 = (d/r)x + (d/s)y
I don't know, a bit lost, just moving stuff around and not making any real progress. Any tips?

Have you tried thinking about some of these problems in terms of the prime factorizations of m, n and d?

Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:
d = mr
d = ns
1 = mx + ny
So far so good. These three equations are all you need. Hint for the next step: try multiplying the last equation by ##d##.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Dick said:
Have you tried thinking about some of these problems in terms of the prime factorizations of m, n and d?
I have not tried thinking about this way. If n|d and m|d, we know that m and n each contain at least one prime that is also in the prime factorization of d. However, this does not mean we can conclude that mn|d does it? What if the only common prime in the factorization of m, n, and d is p, that would mean mn contains p^2 which wouldn't divide d's lone p.

Am I missing something?

PsychonautQQ said:
I have not tried thinking about this way. If n|d and m|d, we know that m and n each contain at least one prime that is also in the prime factorization of d. However, this does not mean we can conclude that mn|d does it? What if the only common prime in the factorization of m, n, and d is p, that would mean mn contains p^2 which wouldn't divide d's lone p.

Am I missing something?

The idea is that if gcd(m,n)=1 then m and n have no prime factor in common. Do you see how the proof would go from there? Proving it with jbunniii's hint is actually easier to write down. I just find it easier to think in terms of prime factors.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Yeah, I solved it with regards to jbunnii's hint, wish I would have seen it myself >.<. Right, gcd(m,n) = 1 so they each have a unique prime that divides d, so nm|d. Thanks man, I I appreciate ya'll being so patient with me.

1. What is number theory and how does it relate to GCD and relatively prime numbers?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) and relatively prime numbers are important concepts in number theory. The GCD of two numbers is the largest number that divides both of them evenly. Two numbers are relatively prime if their GCD is 1, meaning they have no common factors other than 1.

2. How do you find the GCD of two numbers using the Euclidean algorithm?

The Euclidean algorithm is a method for finding the GCD of two numbers. It involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number, then using the remainder as the new divisor until the remainder becomes 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD of the two numbers.

3. What is the significance of relatively prime numbers in number theory?

Relatively prime numbers have a special significance in number theory because they do not share any common factors. This makes them useful in many mathematical calculations and proofs. For example, relatively prime numbers are essential in understanding Euler's totient function, which is used in cryptography.

4. Can two numbers be relatively prime if one of them is negative?

Yes, two numbers can still be relatively prime if one of them is negative. The definition of relatively prime numbers only requires that their GCD is 1, regardless of the sign of the numbers. For example, 7 and -11 are relatively prime because their GCD is 1, even though one of them is negative.

5. How can the concept of relatively prime numbers be applied in real life?

Relatively prime numbers have many real-life applications, especially in fields such as computer science and cryptography. For example, the RSA encryption algorithm uses the property of relatively prime numbers to create secure public and private keys for data encryption. Relatively prime numbers can also be used in solving problems related to fractions, ratios, and proportions in everyday life.