1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory - Primitive Roots

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    Here is the question from the book:
    ------------
    Determine a primitive root modulo 19, and use it to find all the primitive roots.
    ------------

[tex]\varphi(19)= 18[/tex]

And 18 is the order of 2 modulo 19, so 2 is a primitive root modulo 19, but I am not sure of how to use that to find all primitive roots modulo 19. My only idea is that we need to find what values of g satisfy [itex]g^{18} \equiv 1 \ \text{mod 19}[/itex]. However, I am not sure how to solve that equation. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you know that the unit group of Z/19Z is simply a cyclic group of order 18, right?

If that doesn't help, don't forget that g is a power of 2. Now, you know that everything in Z/19Z satisfies g^18 = 1... the things you're interested in are the things that do not also satisfy g^9 = 1 or g^6 = 1. (Do you see why?)

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    Unfortunately I don't know much algebra, and our number theory class has not focused on the algebra behind it, so I don't really understand what you are saying.

5. Mar 22, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Z/19Z is simply the residue classes modulo 19.

6. Mar 24, 2007 #5
    Thanks, now I see the idea behind it, and I see how to find the others. Seems kind of obvious now :redface:

7. Oct 24, 2010 #6
    why are we interested in the things that DO not satisfy g^9 = 1 or g^6 = 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?