1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extending a field by a 16th primitive root of unity

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let c be a primitive 16th root of unity. How many subfields M<Q(c) are there such that [M:Q] = 2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the only subfield M of Q(c) such that [M:Q] = 2 is Q(c^8). Then M = {a+b(c^8) such that a,b are elements of Q}. I'm thinking about the other powers of c and trying to think if any other would generate an extension field over Q with a degree of 2. Any number that's relatively prime to 16 would be another primitive 16th root of unity, so we can throw out all odd numbers. Q(c^2) and Q(c^14) would both be degree 8, Q(c^4) and Q(c^12) would both be degree four, Q(c^6) would be of degree 8 and Q(c^10) would also be of degree 8. So it's only [Q(c^8):Q]= 2 correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think again about that '8' exponent. Note that ##c^8=-1##, which is in ##\mathbb Q##, so ##\mathbb Q(c^8)=\mathbb Q## (ie the extension is trivial), whence ##[\mathbb Q(c^8):\mathbb Q]=1##, not 2.
    Why? I think you are confusing the degree of the extension ##[\mathbb Q(c^k):\mathbb Q]##, which is the dimension of the vector space, with the order of the element ##c^k## in the multiplicative group ##\{c^j\ :\ j\in\{0,1,...,15\}\}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted