1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numbers and systems a way of storing states of energy

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    i was looking at the number line and its various axis and thought, this is a system for storing states of energy. whereupon when we input figures we actually send a quantified amount of energy into the network and the energy is bounce around according to the resistance it meets within the system ie equations that reduce or amplify the original input. is this a fair analogy of the number system we use. i was comparing it to how a computer creates virtual memory states to process extended problems which require various comparative computations.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I cannot make heads or tails of this. I know what a number line is but I have no idea what "various axes" you are talking about. A number line is a set of numbers. Certainly you can a number to energy and, in that sense "store" it on the number line. I have no idea what you can mean, either mathematically or physically, by energy "bouncing around". As near as I can tell, everything you say reduces to "we can use numbers to keep track of energy". That's certainly true! We can use numbers to keep track of just about anything!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook