Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical solution of an ODE be Singular at endpoint

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Hi all,
    I have an ODE with the form
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2}\phi}{\mathrm{d}x^{2}}+a\exp(b\phi)=0[/tex]

B.C. [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\phi}{\mathrm{d}{x}}\right|_{x=0}=-c,\frac{\mathrm{d}\phi}{\mathrm{d}{x}}\right|_{x=L}=0[/tex]

where [tex]a,b,c,L[/tex] are all positive.

I solved the problem with Maple using the dsolve routine:
    dsolve({bc, equ}, type = numeric, method = bvp[midrich], range = 0 .. L)
    but it says "matrix is singular". My Fortran program using the FVM method also indicate the coefficients matrix is singular at [tex]x=L[/tex]

But if i change the B.C. at [tex]x=L[/tex] to [tex]\phi\right|_{x=L}=0[/tex] the solution can be got.

So i wonder
    1 why the previous Newmann B.C. cause the singularity at [tex]x=L[/tex] but the latter Dirichlet one not.
    2 how to evaluate the influence of such a boundary to the nature of the solution?

any suggestions will be appreciated
    hui

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2
    Unless I am mistaken, if you have Neumann conditions on both sides then there is nothing to "fix" the integration constant. So your solution will be unique up to a constant offset.

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    My fault. i checked the simplified form of the eqution
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2}\phi}{\mathrm{d}x^{2}}+ab\phi=0[/tex]
    to get guess values of [tex]\phi[/tex] and it works with two Newmann B.C.s so i think it is the same with the original equation...

if we substitute [tex]\phi(x)=f(x)+C1[/tex] into the original equation it can be found [tex]C1[/tex] may not be zero.

Lord Crc, thanks for your reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook