1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical techniques for the integral defined by a contour

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a doubt about how to solve an integral and what numerical method I could use to solve it.

Example

A = [1,2;2,4]
    Contour = [0,0,1,1]
    r = I-mean;

integral of the position where the contour is equal zero and obtaining from that positon the value Ai which is the value of the control point at that position

∫σ==0 Ai*r ds

or the original that would be
    ∇E(λ) = ∫{Φλ=0} ϕi(s)r(s)/||∇Φλ(s)||ds

where Φ is the contour and ϕ interpolated values

2. Relevant equations

∫σ==0 interpolation in control points*r ds

integrate only where the contour of the level set (active contour) is equal 0.

3. The attempt at a solution

summatory of the points of the image that are equal 0 following the formula but it does not work. So I wonder how to make an integral of a interpolation and if I can use any technique with this kind of functions.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2
    Let's simplify the question, I hope it is simple to understand. how would you solve a discrete integral over an image. So I have discrete points over the image and I am just interested in a subset. If it was a polynomial function it would be straightforward but how do you deal with the width between the points to use for example the trapezoidal method?.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook