1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex contour integral zero while containing a pole?

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    [SOLVED] Complex contour integral zero while containing a pole?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2 +2z +5} = \frac{1}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}##, where ##z_1= -1+2i## and ##z_2 = -1-2i##.

Now, let z be parametrized as ##z(\theta)=Re^{i \theta}##, where ##\theta## can have values in the interval of ##[0,\pi]##. Furthermore, let ##R \rightarrow \infty## and ##a>0##. Show [tex] \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{S_R} f(z) e^{iaz} dz = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My main problem with this, is that the upper half-plane contains a residue for ## f(z) e^{iaz}##, namely at ##z_1##, and thus the contour-integral can impossibly be zero...

But on the other hand, I can see from the ML-inequality theorem that the sum of the integral should go towards zero when R goes towards infinity.. Help?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    edit nevermind, I just noticed that the parametrization is not a closed curve but rather a semi-circle. forget this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted