O(︶︿︶)o 【Where should I go for undergrad】?

• Thread starter pureandone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, a student is considering where to go to undergraduate school. They have received offers from three different schools, but are unsure if they should take a gap year or transfer. They are considering both options and want advice on what to do.
pureandone
Hello

I'm new here

I'm currently deciding where should I go for undergrad,

I got both offers from Waterloo (matratronics), UToronto(engsci) and withdraw from US university because my sat marks didn't reach them in time for consideration. My original goal was to get into top us university, and right now, the reality is not what i expected.

so, I thought about taking a gap year, and then apply to the us university again. but i have no gurantee i will get in. so... what should I do? gap year? go to ut or waterloo? or what?

i need some advice and suggestions.

thx in adavnce

Physics news on Phys.org

Why is going to that specific university worth losing a year to you?

Also, it's spelled "mechatronics". I don't like to play grammar police, but if you're going to major in a program, make sure you know how to spell it! :smile:

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to start at Waterloo or UToronto and consider transferring, so you don't lose a year?

Transfer admissions to the top US universities is really hard, and probably even harder if you're international. And even if you take a gap year, admissions will still be hard, especially since you're an international student. Waterloo and University of Toronto are both really good schools anyways, so I don't see what the problem is. I would rather go there without the expectation of transferring, rather than risking a gap year just to get more choices (though if a gap year is something you want to do outside of trying again at college admissions, that's definitely something you should consider).

It is not worth wasting a year in my opinion. Go to either of those schools (which are both good) and see how you feel at the end of the year about transferring.

ask your parents if they can afford that much first
first year in waterloo for engineering costs $20,000 (includes residence textbook meal and tuition fees)

$20,000 is NOT cheap, maybe compared to $100,000 it's 'cheap'. But to any normal person who it's filthy rich, $20,000 is not cheap at all.

Definitely do not take a gap year.
A) that's an entire year of your life that will probably be mostly wasted, at least it will be if you compare what you could do with that year later in your life.

B) UofT and Waterloo are very good undergraduate schools. I am currently in EngSci and its a very good and competitive program which you really can't go wrong with (assuming you put in the effort). I also had a friend drop out of mechatronics at Waterloo so I know that that is a tough program too (can't compare it too engsci unfortunately).

C) I would be very careful with a gap year after high school. I know someone who did exactly that, they took a year off after high school and when they went back to apply to some universities, the universities declared them as a "mature" student, and made their life extremely difficult.

Honestly, you should really just go to either UofT or Waterloo. They are great schools and you will have a lot of fun in your first few years of university, way more fun than taking a gap year would be.

Also, as far as I understand, the university in which you do your undergrad really does not matter. Assuming you go to a university which keeps its program up to date and is reasonably competitive, that is all that really matters. UofT and Waterloo are top notch in this respect. You can focus on going to a "top" school for graduate school if you want to, as the name of the school beside your Phd carries a bit more weight.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing where to go for undergrad?

When deciding where to go for undergrad, there are several important factors to consider. These include the program offerings, location, cost, campus environment, and overall reputation of the institution.

2. How do I determine which schools have the best programs for my desired major?

Doing research on the specific programs offered at each school is crucial in determining which institutions have the best programs for your desired major. Look into the faculty, curriculum, and any special opportunities or resources offered.

3. Should I prioritize location or academic quality when choosing a school?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and priorities. Some students may prioritize being close to home or in a certain city, while others may prioritize the academic quality and reputation of the school.

4. Is it important to consider the cost of attending a school?

Yes, it is important to consider the cost of attending a school. Tuition, room and board, and other expenses can add up quickly, and it's important to choose a school that is financially feasible for you and your family.

5. How can I get a better understanding of the campus environment at a school?

Visiting the campus in person is the best way to get a feel for the campus environment. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspective on the campus culture and community.