Obama Reelected: Republicans Feel the Schadenfreude

• News
  • Thread starter SixNein
  • Start date
In summary: The auto bailout won the election.actually young southerners are much less racist than us oldsters, or maybe it is just the ones in my neighborhood.The republicans possibly put up the most inept challenger available in an election that was theirs to lose. Obama was perceived as the lesser of evils, not the great hope for the future.
Obama's hand is strengthened by the election of Angus King to replace Olympia Snowe in the senate. King is a centrist, who will most likely caucus with the Dems. Obama has to deal with a right-wing supreme court, and a right-wing house, but things could have been much worse for him.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it interesting that Mitt Romney had not prepared a concession speech beforehand, and had to write one (or have one written) after it became clear he had lost. Was he really that arrogant that he refused to entertain any possibility that he'd lose?

Jack21222 said:
Was he really that arrogant ...
No. IMO, that clueless.

Angry Citizen said:
It was, actually - a rejection of the health care law. And in this awful political environment, we not only reelected the President by a landslide, we had a net gain of at least one, perhaps two seats in the Senate. Would've been three if Shelly Berkeley had been a competent candidate. Point being, this was your election to lose, and you lost it. If it were just Romney's fault, you wouldn't have lost the races in the Senate that were absolutely yours to win. I mean seriously - Heidi Heitkamp, who was polling 4% under Berg, is the new Senator from North Dakota. That should tell you something.
What is your definition of "landslide"? Have any prominent/mainstream commentators used that word here?

turbo said:
Obama's hand is strengthened by the election of Angus King to replace Olympia Snowe in the senate. King is a centrist, who will most likely caucus with the Dems. Obama has to deal with a right-wing supreme court, and a right-wing house, but things could have been much worse for him.

By all accounts, the current landscape in the House is 235/200, +/- 2. Expect the House to become much less partisan, methinks. All it takes is 18 in such a House to put the Democrats into "minority-majority" status.

russ_watters said:
What is your definition of "landslide"? Have any prominent/mainstream commentators used that word here?

My definition of landslide is losing only two states from the 2008 landslide, one of which was by less than two points.

russ_watters said:

I'm a prominent commentator on this forum, and I'd say winning by 130 electoral votes is a landslide.

What's your definition of prominent?

Last edited:
Jack21222 said:
I'm a prominent commentator on this forum, and I'd say winning by 130 electoral votes is a landslide.

What's your definition of prominent?
By "here", I meant in this case, not on PF.

Angry Citizen said:
My definition of landslide is losing only two states from the 2008 landslide, one of which was by less than two points.
So... None, then?

Landslide??
Try Johnson '64, Nixon '72, Reagan 80+84 to use THAT word...

russ_watters said:
So... None, then?

As far as I'm aware, no source is required to use a nonscientific term like "landslide". Clearly, in this landscape, winning nearly every single swing state and beating your opponent by over 100 electoral votes is, indeed, a landslide by any reasonable use of the term. But still, I would cite your desired source, but I've read only two articles so far this morning. I'll keep an eye out to see whether my "claim" is "justified" by the pundit brigade.

I'm sorry your candidate lost, and that it wasn't even close, but you should really avoid disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.

russ_watters said:
By "here", I meant in this case, not on PF.

I know, the comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I don't particularly care what people you consider "prominent" call the election. This was not a close election. The final score appears to be 332-206. You can call it a "strong win" for Obama if you'd like. A "decisive victory." To me, those are synonymous to "landslide."

Jack21222 said:
I know, the comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I don't particularly care what people you consider "prominent" call the election. This was not a close election. The final score appears to be 332-206. You can call it a "strong win" for Obama if you'd like. A "decisive victory." To me, those are synonymous to "landslide."

Well, Nate Silver's formulation "not a big win, but a broad one" seems more apt.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/live-blog-the-2012-presidential-election/

He has a very intelligent definition of "landslide", namely that it refers to the popular vote, and you need a double digit margin in the popular vote in order to speak about "landslides".

Last edited by a moderator:
One area where liberal and conservative fair-weather friends agree on is Canada. It's the number one destination to threaten us with their moving to.
Yahoo News
I'd help pack their bags, but you and I both know they aren't going anywhere. "What, give up all the benefits I take advantage of here? Never!" I think the reason people say they're leaving is in order to convince other, more honest, people to do it. I'm disappointed that Romney lost, but I'll be staying in the US just the same.

Jimmy Snyder said:
One area where liberal and conservative fair-weather friends agree on is Canada. It's the number one destination to threaten us with their moving to.
Yahoo News
I'd help pack their bags, but you and I both know they aren't going anywhere. "What, give up all the benefits I take advantage of here? Never!" I think the reason people say they're leaving is in order to convince other, more honest, people to do it. I'm disappointed that Romney lost, but I'll be staying in the US just the same.

The conservatives are threatening to escape US liberalism by moving to a country with socialized medicine. Smart.

Jimmy Snyder said:
... but you and I both know they aren't going anywhere. ...

Unless of course, there's an added incentive

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/23965_294694567307024_1974293322_n.jpg​

Gold and Guns and Ammo, oh MY!

(and Jimmy and I will help pack your bags)

:-p

arildno said:
Well, Nate Silver's formulation "not a big win, but a broad one" seems more apt.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/live-blog-the-2012-presidential-election/

He has a very intelligent definition of "landslide", namely that it refers to the popular vote, and you need a double digit margin in the popular vote in order to speak about "landslides".

Since it would be possible to win the popular vote by 20% and still lose the electoral college, I'd say that's a pretty dumb definition of landslide. I mean, what would you say? The loser won in a landslide?

Popular vote doesn't matter at all, only the votes of the electoral college.

Angry Citizen said:
not only reelected the President by a landslide
Obama won by perhaps 2%. That does not constitute a landslide. Nobody is claiming this as a landslide election. With the exception of a razor thin popular vote, the electoral college tends to magnify the popular vote margin by a significant amount. An electoral landslide is 350 or more electoral votes.

That this slim 2% margin became a 23% margin is yet another sign that our Presidential election system is broken. Imagine if all of the safe red and blue states had joined the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. That slim 2% margin would have become an absolutely huge electoral margin -- and it would have been completely moot.

Jack21222 said:
Since it would be possible to win the popular vote by 20% and still lose the electoral college, I'd say that's a pretty dumb definition of landslide. I mean, what would you say? The loser won in a landslide?

Popular vote doesn't matter at all, only the votes of the electoral college.

If you look at the general mood shift in the US, that was RIGHTWARD in this election.
That is why, for example, GOP retains, with a good margin, the majority in the HoR.

The electoral system of "winner-takes-it-all" at the local level allows small, broad, consistent edges that Obama had, to give a disproprtionate result.

Thus, the point is to localize the significant factors on the LOCAL plane, and that was that young voters in critical states voted predominantly for Obama, and that the Hispanic vote became particularly important.

New York Times, hardly a bastion for GOP, calls it a "narrow win":
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/07/us/politics/obamas-diverse-base-of-support.html

Obama won by perhaps 2%. That does not constitute a landslide. Nobody is claiming this as a landslide election. With the exception of a razor thin popular vote, the electoral college tends to magnify the popular vote margin by a significant amount. An electoral landslide is 350 or more electoral votes.

Under whose definition? Most of the reduction in Obama's PV count came from the south. Most of the margins in non-southern states were similar to the 2008 count.

chemisttree said:
I keep hearing Ann Coulter's prediction from 2 years ago in my head...

Ann Coulter's voice in your head? Sorry to hear it - I think there's good drugs for that.

:-p

Chronos said:
The republicans possibly put up the most inept challenger available in an election that was theirs to lose. Obama was perceived as the lesser of evils, not the great hope for the future. I'd have loved to seen a sincere and pragmatic fiscal conservative as an option, ...
Ok, such as?

Angry Citizen said:
Under whose definition? Most of the reduction in Obama's PV count came from the south. Most of the margins in non-southern states were similar to the 2008 count.
Incorrect, as to the relative trends.
The shift towards GOP was nationwide, as is well displayed in the NY Times article.

The Romney campaign had insufficient momentum, and failed to target the critical win-groups.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
I do agree that Democrats have been successful at selling that rhetoric - with, apparently, help from certain commentators.

Fox news had its own brand of rhetoric that it was selling. Biased media wasn't the reason why Romney lost. The guy didn't have awesome plans. His plans were too old fashion, and the party turned off the majority of the country.

D H said:

That this slim 2% margin became a 23% margin is yet another sign that our Presidential election system is broken. Imagine if all of the safe red and blue states had joined the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. That slim 2% margin would have become an absolutely huge electoral margin -- and it would have been completely moot.

I certainly am claiming this is a landslide election, and Obama will have won 50% more electoral votes than Romney (which is your 23 percentage points you mention). The popular vote doesn't matter whatsoever, so it's wrong to point at that and call it a close race. It wasn't close at all. Your arbitrary cutoff of 350 electoral votes for a landslide is just that; arbitrary. Obama was quite close to that number. If he had won 350 votes, you could easily be saying that 360 is the cutoff for a landslide.

Under the system we currently have (and not the system you wish we had), Obama won in a landslide. The electors in the electoral college will vote for Obama 332 - 206, or 62% - 38%. There is no way to spin that as close.

mheslep said:
Ok, such as?

Jon Huntsman, Jr.

The Republican Party made a foolish choice by not giving him more prominence. He is a bit moderate, but I would have voted for him over Obama. I'm looking to hear more from him heading towards 2016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman,_Jr.

303 to 206 EV is not a landslide?

@MacLady: The party was foolish throughout this campaign. Like most commentators have said, they need to change their party platform and disown their pandering to the fringe sect of their party. 2016 won't be the year for them either if they keep this up due to demographics changing.

Mentalist said:

Florida is almost certainly going to Obama, making it 332-206.

If Romney somehow wins Florida, I'll agree that it wasn't a landslide.

Mentalist said:

@MacLady: The party was foolish throughout this campaign. Like most commentators have said, they need to change their party platform and disown their pandering to the fringe sect of their party. 2016 won't be the year for them either if they keep this up due to demographics changing.

I wouldn't characterize that as a landslide. What makes it a landslide is Florida, giving Obama 332.

Mentalist said:
Since the country as a whole went from a 7.2 percentage lead for Obama down to a 2 percentage lead, 2008 can be roughly regarded as a landslide for Obama. 2012 was not, by any rational standard.

arildno said:
If you look at the general mood shift in the US, that was RIGHTWARD in this election.
And this is why virtually every Republican commentator on the TV this morning is talking about what they desperately need to do for their party to survive?

A Dem president wins fairly comfortably with nearly 8% unemployment. Republicans lose 2 seats in the Senate and will likely lose somewhere near 4-9 seats in the House (there's still about a dozen results that aren't in yet, so that's my estimate; so far they have lost at least 2 seats). Same-sex ballot measures win in all states that they were proposed, and more states legalize marijuana use.

How is this a RIGHTWARD shift?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
And this is why virtually every Republican commentator on the TV this morning is talking about what they desperately need to do for their party to survive?

A Dem president wins fairly comfortably with nearly 8% unemployment. Republicans lose 2 seats in the Senate and will likely lose somewhere near 4-9 seats in the House (there's still about a dozen results that aren't in yet, so that's my estimate; so far they have lost 2 seats).

How is this a RIGHTWARD shift?
Look at the NYTimes simulation.

Obama lost 33 EVs, and his percentage lead in the popular vote went down from 7.2 in 2008 to 2 in 2012.

I sure call that a rightward shift.

Please explain to me why it should NOT be counted as such.

arildno said:
Since the country as a whole went from a 7.2 percentage lead for Obama down to a 2 percentage lead, 2008 can be roughly regarded as a landslide for Obama. 2012 was not, by any rational standard.

*shrug* The Angry White Male crowd was out in force. It wasn't enough. It was a landslide against them. They lost seats in both the Senate and the House. Maybe we should go off the popular vote more, but the fact remains, it's the electoral college that counts, not the politically-moderate-versus-the-fired-up-old-confederacy.

Angry Citizen said:
*shrug* The Angry White Male crowd was out in force. It wasn't enough. It was a landslide against them. They lost seats in both the Senate and the House. Maybe we should go off the popular vote more, but the fact remains, it's the electoral college that counts, not the politically-moderate-versus-the-fired-up-old-confederacy.
Well, intelligent and knowledgeable liberals like Nate Silver and the folks at NYTimes have a different view from you.

The point is that this was an election where, basically, the critical voter group deciding the EV outcome is in the low hundreds of thousands.
This is a typical result in "winner-takes-it-all"-systems.

There are different ways to spin the economy, but the Presidential election results are just statistcs and those statistics moved away from Obama since four years ago.

If you want to talk about Congress... Sure, it moved a touch to the left since two years ago.

Funny though how a smaller win for Obama was a"landslide", but a smaller win for Republicans in the house is a loss :rolleyes: .

I think when you look at both together though it has to look like a split decision.

Last edited: