Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama to appear on Bill O'Reilly's The Factor this evening (FOX)

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Obama to appear on Bill O'Reilly's "The Factor" this evening (FOX)

Obama's finally allowing the interview... if it is done on the night of McCain's nomination speech.

Brilliant! Excellent politics, Mr. Obama! This is sure to counteract some of the relentless pro-McCain coverage during RNC convention week. Bill's a pushover...

What could go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2
    Re: Obama to appear on Bill O'Reilly's "The Factor" this evening (FOX)

It is great politics. Considering the huge market that FOX commands, it is a wise move to get some exposure.

Hilary took advantage of it. It didn't hurt her did it?

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3

There's that weasel Karl Rove.

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4

Bill O'Reilly? Hmm, pretty nice move to take the attention away from McCain. Bill can be controversial and having Obama will make things all the more tense on the show.

6. Sep 4, 2008 #5

There's too much irony in Fox News making a big deal about a supposed misleading title of a magazine cover.

7. Sep 4, 2008 #6

I watched it. O'Reilly look like his normal jack-donkey self.

"JUST SAY IT. SAY YOU WERE WRONG. JUST SAY YOU WERE WRONG"....:rolleyes:

Heee-haaa heee-haaaa....and the emmy goes to..........oh, not you O'Reilly. NO not you either Hannity.

8. Sep 5, 2008 #7

I don't know how anyone can watch through that guy's "interviews". Instead of trying to encourage the interviewee to offer an opinon on a topic, this interviewer states what he thinks the situation is and insists the interviewee agree to it.

9. Sep 5, 2008 #8

Hence why Bill O'Reilly is an a** -clown.

10. Sep 5, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the first part of the interview.

Once again, Obama shines.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Sep 5, 2008 #10

I love how O'Tool says, huffing and puffing, " <rolleyes> all rightt, deplomacy mightttt work </rolleyes>"....

"but the surge worked, come onnnnnnnnnn, just say it..........come onnnnnnnnnnn......"

What a buffoon.

12. Sep 5, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...but why even bother? You can't wrap a flag around diplomacy.

I noticed a distinct void regarding timelines for withdrawal.

13. Sep 5, 2008 #12

O'reiley and Obama engaged in a polite manner.

The success of the troop surge issue is a valid point. A point that many undecided voters are interested in. O'reiley did his job.

14. Sep 5, 2008 #13

I never said it was not a valid point. Don't put words into my mouth.

I said O'Reiley is an idiot and an arrogant Jackass. He's a disgrace to reporting, and has no class.

15. Sep 5, 2008 #14

He's such a bad journalism that interview was NOT about Obama. It was about hearing O'Reily TELL obama what he thinks and obama sits there and listens.

I'll wait for Obama to go on a real program, like Charlie Rose.

16. Sep 5, 2008 #15

Don't put words in my mouth either. I never said YOU said.

My point was that it was a valid point and needed to brought up. O'reiley is doing his job.

Run away, lest I frighten you with my O'reiley challenge.

17. Sep 5, 2008 #16

Sorry, but it's not in Obama's character to just "sit there and listen".

18. Sep 5, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you throw enough troops at a problem then you can regain control - it is a foregone conclusion. The real question is: Has Iraq moved to stablize politically, or are they still taking vacations and fighting among themselves. Obama's position has always been that if we don't put pressure on the Iraqies to solve their own problems, they never will. So by the measure that he has always used, the success of the surge is not yet determined.

It is also a fact that the Sunni awakening played a large role in improving conditions in Iraq. This had nothing to do with the surge.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  19. Sep 5, 2008 #18

If you use the same criteria that we used about a year and a half ago, where it was decided that the surge was (at that time) not yet successful, vast progress has been made. Instead of 5/13, I believe we are now up to 11/13.

This seems to be a bit of vague statement. Pressure can be applied with or without a troop surge. Obama opposed the surge.

Err... then why did he say it had succeeded?

Certainly he must be inherently aware of the standards he has, himself, always used.

20. Sep 5, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't get your point. There is no doubt that given enough troops, the situation could be controlled. The question was whether or not this was the best or only option.

How many insurgents or terrorists have simply gone into hiding?

There is nothing vague about it. As long as we fight the Iraqi's war for them, they have no incentive to solve their own problems.

He also made it clear that quelling the violence is not the same as solving the problem. He also made it clear that there have been other contributing factors, like the Sunni awakening - Iraqies taking resposiblity for their own problems.

21. Sep 5, 2008 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Obama gave a great interview here. He gave a spot on answer to the Iran question but his Iraq answer was a little shaky IMO. He again attributes the success of the surge to the Anbar Awakening ("...the Surge has succeeded in ways no one anticipated, by the way including President Bush and the other supporters.") rather than the other way around... the Anbar Awakening succeeded because of the Surge. And he also got it wrong that the Surge's success wasn't planned or at least hoped for by the Administration.

From President Bush's address to the Nation in Jan. 2007.
    Sure... the success of the Anbar Awakening is totaly unrelated to the surge... How can anyone make such a statement with a straight face?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?