Obama's 30 minute message of hope and change

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
I don't think I've heard a better speech.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Yesterday, Obama bought time on major networks for the 30 minute spot. Obama was on the Daily Show too.

McCain errantly criticized Obama for holding up the world series.
It was a bit of channel hopping, because I thought the Clinton-Obama rally in Kissimee was a very interesting event I thought, as Clinton urged people to vote for Obama and Obama was so gracious in lionizing Clinton and the Clinton years. The Daily Show appearance wasn't breaking any new ground really, except of course that Obama seemed as usual engaged and with a sense of humor.

The World Series was over in 2 innings anyway. What was all the whining about? Phillies fans hardly had time for 1 beer.

Obama floods the airwaves with prime-time TV sales pitch
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/54962.html [Broken]

Yesterday, Obama bought time on major networks for the 30 minute spot. Obama was on the Daily Show too.

McCain errantly criticized Obama for holding up the world series.

Out of bounds! McCain's wrong on World Series delay
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/310/story/54952.html [Broken]
The contrast is profound. Obama is positive, McCain is negative.

The US needs to go in the positive direction.
McCain is getting desperate. He knows his campaign is done. He has no credibility. He has no way to bring in the undecided voters. He offers nothing significantly different from George Bush's failed policies. The voters won't make the same mistake three times.

Last edited by a moderator:
The voters won't make the same mistake three times.
I wouldn't have thought they'd make it twice, but here we are.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Boston_Globe said:
Obama infomercial ratings
Joanna Weiss October 30, 2008 10:28 AM

This just in from a Nielsen Co. press release about Barack Obama's infomercial:

* Overall, for the six networks that aired the program simultaneously, the spot had a household rating of 21.7% (meaning that 21.7 percent of all households watching television were tuned to the spot) in the top 56 local markets. In Boston, the rating was 25.7 -- meaning that just over a quarter of local households tuned in.
* In comparison, the final debate between the two presidential candidates received a 38.3 household rating in the top 56 local TV markets. The candidates’ first debate on September 26 received a 34.7 household rating in the top 55 markets; their second debate, on October 7, received a 42.0 household rating in those markets.
* The last presidential candidate to air a paid simulcast was Ross Perot in 1996, which received a national household rating of 16.8.
* Last night, the Baltimore market had the largest TV audience, with a household rating of 31.3, while the Portland (Oregon, not Maine) market had the lowest household rating: 14.2.
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/2008/10/obama_infomerci.html

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Back in 2000 America stood tall as the undisputed superpower, at peace with a generally admiring world. The main argument was over what to do with the federal government’s huge budget surplus. Nobody foresaw the seismic events of the next eight years. When Americans go to the polls next week the mood will be very different. The United States is unhappy, divided and foundering both at home and abroad. Its self-belief and values are under attack....
http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?story_id=12516666&source=features_box1

Don't mind if I break out in song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg

turbo
Gold Member
I just watched Obama's message again, on Youtube. It was very well-done, the production values were great and not over- produced or slick. I hope people who had to work last night or were sleeping because of a shift schedule, etc, will watch the spot on-line.

Bill Richardson's endorsement was heart-felt, and I hope Obama considers him very seriously for Secretary of State. We need an actual diplomat with some experience and a level head to try to undo some of the damage that Bush-Cheney-Rove have done to our foreign relations.

Edit: for people who have parents or grandparents that haven't made up their minds and might not have seen the spot, please invite them over to your place, and pull up the spot on Youtube. It could be a game-changer in some tight districts.

turbo
Gold Member
I watched Obama's infomercial twice and now I have rock-hard abs. It's magic! Suzanne Somers, eat your heart out.