Obama's 30 minute message of hope and change

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
So far it looks like Obama is out "Joe"ing McCain.

This looks very real. I suspect that it will be seen as quite effective.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

No fair! I have to wait almost three more hours.

Also, it is an inspired political message of hope and change, not an informercial. :biggrin:

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

No fair! I have to wait almost three more hours.

Also, it is an inspired political message of hope and change, not an informercial. :biggrin:
It was exactly that.

Sorry I didn't know you couldn't see it yet.

I think it was an outstanding job. Propaganda to be sure but not the ham-handed McCain/Far Right bludgeoning that has characterized their efforts this cycle.

Smooth and real.

This won't hurt him at all. Quite the opposite I should think.

I was impressed.

Evo
Mentor

Wow, just wow. That was awesome. Not an infomercial at all. I was very impressed.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Wow, just wow. That was awesome. Not an infomercial at all. I was very impressed.
Thanks for making the change

Last edited:
Where was this televised?

Don't suppose we could get a link to the video? Or is it not up yet?

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Does anyone have a video link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtREqAmLsoA

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
FoxNews is left sputtering about those "sob-sister" stories and all the money Obama has to get his message out.

Greta Van Susteren is whining about Obama not answering questions that she has? Oy.

Looks like Fox has a case of extreme Campaign Finance Envy.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I think it was an outstanding job. Propaganda to be sure but not the ham-handed McCain/Far Right bludgeoning that has characterized their efforts this cycle.
Because politicians that are expert at propaganda have always turned out well .
At least Leni Riefenstahl did good camera work!

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

George Washington had Thomas Paine and Sam Adams. He worked out ok.

I think references to Hitler are a little inappropriate and over the top however.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ok - but everbody is getting a little over the top about this guy, if he turns out not to be able to walk on water people are going to be very dissapointed.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Yeah! :approve: :cool:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok - but everbody is getting a little over the top about this guy, if he turns out not to be able to walk on water people are going to be very disappointed.
I think he will try - very hard, and that's all we can expect.

We also have a role in this - to work hard and together to build a better nation and a better world - with liberty and justice for all.

Obama is a true [itex]\mu \epsilon \gamma \alpha \lambda o \psi \xi o \sigma[/itex], and if he is elected I will rejoice with all of my heart, and in the unlikely event that he is not elected it will be the darkest day in my lifetime.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Ok - but everbody is getting a little over the top about this guy, if he turns out not to be able to walk on water people are going to be very dissapointed.
I don't think he walks on water, but considering the alternatives it will be a pleasant change to not feel so poorly led as the current 8 year reign of incompetence or the prospect of 4 more from the snarky John McCain.

We have seen real problems go unattended while trillions have been squandered clinging to power and we have been engaging in dubious wars, refighting the Crusades.

Personally I think having an executive that can think his way out of a paper bag will only seem like walking on water. It's my hope that as a Nation, that maybe being exposed to what a real President might feel like that maybe we will develop higher standards than the cream of the Republican Party that has been plated up this year.

Fox keeps comparing it to the Ross Perot spots. Historically Ike did the same thing in 1952.

When the recorded presentation ended in my time zone on CBS, it went directly to a live Obama rally in a packed stadium in Florida. Very impessive.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Fox keeps comparing it to the Ross Perot spots. Historically Ike did the same thing in 1952.

When the recorded presentation ended in my time zone on CBS, it went directly to a live Obama rally in a packed stadium in Florida. Very impessive.
The Bill Clinton-Barack Obama Rally is truly impressive.

There's so much potential with this guy. Who wants to vote for McCain at this point?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Uh, McCains good buddy and convicted criminal, G Gordon Liddy, is the one who idolized Hitler. And McCain credits him with being a great American.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Compared to what Bush and the Republicans have done to this country, and after the zero-quality leadership we've seen over for eight years, Obama could be made out of lead and he would still walk on water.

I thought he did well.

Certainly, as Mathwork noted in another thread, he focused on "less educated" people:
to be quite honest, i was very disappointed by obama's message tonight. it seems he feels he has sewn up the votes of intelligent people and was going now after the votes of idiots. it leaves me feeling bad, but nowhere near as bad as the unrelentingly offensive campaign of mccain palin.
... but (as I also noted there) I'm okay with that focus. Education of Americans 18 and over (via 2007 US census data for the US census website): ~15% don't have a HS education. 50% are HS graduates, and may have had some college but no degree. That leaves about ~35% with degrees... including associates degrees! (for curiosity, 8% have associates degrees (occupational or academic), 17% have bachelors, 6% have masters, 1% have professional and 1% have doctoral).

Being in the upper echelons, I'm just glad Sen. Obama is running an almost impeccable "national campaign": focusing on on the issues important in battleground states and all the groups, but not neglecting this nation-wide opportunity to give shout-outs to people he could have in his pocket regardless (like Massachusetts)... or has perhaps no chance of (Kansas). He needs to keep showing the nation he can be presidential... even fire-side chatty.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Obama floods the airwaves with prime-time TV sales pitch
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/54962.html [Broken]

Yesterday, Obama bought time on major networks for the 30 minute spot. Obama was on the Daily Show too.

McCain errantly criticized Obama for holding up the world series.

Out of bounds! McCain's wrong on World Series delay
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/310/story/54952.html [Broken]
Throw the flag against: John McCain.

Call: Unsportsmanlike conduct.

What happened: "No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president," the Republican presidential nominee told a crowd Tuesday in Hershey, Pa.

Democratic rival Barack Obama bought the 8-8:30 p.m. slot on Fox and other major networks Wednesday night to air a campaign pitch. The first pitch of the World Series game, the resumption of rain-delayed Game 5, was set for approximately 8:37 p.m. EDT, about nine minutes later than usual.

Why that's wrong: It's not unusual for World Series games to start after 8:30 p.m., and according to the Web site Politico, the Fox executive who's responsible for the Obama ad purchase said the infomercial was replacing only the pre-game show.

"Our first pitch for the World Series is usually around 8:30 anyway, so we didn't push back the game. It was really just about suspending the pre-game, you know, Joe Buck," said the account executive, Joe Coppola. "That's all we did."
. . . .
The contrast is profound. Obama is positive, McCain is negative.

The US needs to go in the positive direction.

Last edited by a moderator: