Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Obama's Nobel Acceptance speech:

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Continues..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think Obama showed the appropriate respect towards those civil rights activists who, arguably, might be seen as more suitable winners than Mr. Obama himself, and in addition, made a clear, concise outline of the "just war theory", with an unapologetic defence of the use of military means on occasion in order to make the conditions under which peace may thrive.

All in all, a very good speech!

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

I too liked the multiple hat tips to the soldiers, and as you say unapologetic about them. That's a bold thing to do in a Peace prize speech. Amazingly, there was no Bush/Cheney bashing, which had been mandatory in recent Obama speeches.

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Another, extremely unexpected move was his show of respect towards President Reagan.

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5

mheslep

Gold Member

Senator Obama did give President Reagan a notable hat tip during the campaign, how Reagan "put the country on a trajectory" or the like. I have the impression that professional politicians who are Reagan's idealogical opponents nonetheless widely admire Reagan's political skills.

7. Dec 11, 2009 #6

mheslep

Gold Member

Columnist Krauthammer, so good I have to share:
    On the speech:
    On the audience:
    :rofl:
    Sounds like a good cast for another Jimmy Snyder half act play.

8. Dec 12, 2009 #7

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

No Cheney bashing, but one analyst (Mark Whitaker) thought Obama's speech was a refutation of Cheney's whole no-holds barred approach to things (of course, there's a bashing-implied sensationalistic headline attached to it):
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34368157/ns/politics-white_house/

This line in particular stood out to me. Whatever else anybody thinks of President Obama, I think most agree he can write a pretty good speech.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  9. Dec 12, 2009 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Of course, not everything can be said in one speech.
    But we should remind ourselves that if we have self-defeating ideals, i.e, where those ideals prohibit their own preservation, then those ideals are...worthless.

10. Dec 12, 2009 #9

mheslep

Gold Member

Uh oh, this thread might go off into a Jack Bauer: right or wrong discussion.

11. Dec 12, 2009 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

Ah, I see, the Pres. let MSNBC stand in for the Bush/Cheney bashing this time.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook