Is the net force on an object in a spinning test tube zero?

• Thread starter Swatch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centripetal force and acceleration in relation to an object spinning in a test tube. The object experiences a net inward force due to the centrifugal machine, but is stopped from flying out by the bottom of the test tube. The conversation also touches on inertial frames of reference and how they affect observations of force. Finally, the conversation poses a problem involving an incompressible fluid in a spinning test tube and asks for help in finding the net force on an object in this scenario.
Swatch
An object is put in a test tube . The test tube is put in a centrifugal machine where it spins around. Would it be correct to say that the net force on the object is zero since it is not moving. I know the test tube has a net inward force that makes it change direction. But the object wants to fly out of the tube but is stopped by the bottom of the test tube.

Am I totally wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
it is not moving

What?

What I meant is that the object doesn't accelerate. But then again it changes direction. A direct answer would be appreciated.

centripetal acceleration

An object spinning in a circle is most definitely accelerating! It is accelerating towards the center of the circle; this is usually called centripetal acceleration. And, since it is accelerating, there must be a net force pulling the object towards the center.

That's what I thought. But wasn't sure because the object isn't in an inertial frame of reference.

If an object isn't in an inertial frame of reference then pretty much by definition you will observe that a force is acting on it.

O.K. I think I understand this but the real problem I don't understand, here it comes.

An incompressible fluid with density rho is in a horizontal test tube of inner cross-sectional area A. The test tube spins in a horizontal circle with angular speed w. Gravitational forces are negligeble. An object of volume V and density RHOob has its center of mass at a distance Rcmob from the axis. Show that the net horizontal force on the object is rhoVw^2Rcm, where Rcm is the distance from the axis to the center of mass of the displaced fluid. I have already derived expressions for the pressure at a distance from the surface of the water, and for the pressure difference for a volume element of thickness dr. It seems to me that the net force on the object is the mass*acceleration of the displaced fluid volume.

I don't know how to treat this problem. I see the force as the mass*acceleration of the object + displaced water.

Could anyone please help me.

Swatch said:
It seems to me that the net force on the object is the mass*acceleration of the displaced fluid volume.
The net force on any object is its mass time its acceleration. This object is being centripetally accelerated, so [itex]F_{net} = m a_c[/itex].

1. What is an object in a test tube?

An object in a test tube refers to any substance or material that has been placed inside a test tube for experimental purposes. This can include solids, liquids, or gases.

2. How is an object placed into a test tube?

An object can be placed into a test tube using various methods such as pouring, scooping, or pipetting. The method used will depend on the properties of the object and the purpose of the experiment.

3. What is the purpose of using a test tube for an object?

The purpose of using a test tube for an object is to contain and isolate the substance, allowing for controlled observation and experimentation. It also helps to prevent contamination and ensure accurate results.

4. How is an object in a test tube manipulated during an experiment?

An object in a test tube can be manipulated using various techniques such as heating, mixing, or adding other substances. These manipulations can help to observe the reactions and properties of the object being tested.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when handling an object in a test tube?

When handling an object in a test tube, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to handle the test tube with care to avoid breakage and always follow proper disposal procedures for any hazardous materials.