1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object oscillates such that displacement is x = (.222)sin(314t)

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Object is oscillates such that displacement is x = (.222)sin(314t), where t is in seconds.
    In one period, the objects moves what distance?

2. Relevant equations
    What is the relationship between displacement, amplitude and distance?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The amplitude is the 0.222 m, so the displacement is four times that, as it moves from the centre to the edge, back to the centre, to the other edge and then back to the centre again, so the object moves 0.888 m. but WHY?????

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think you explained it quite well (I bolded your solution). Is there something about that explanation that you are not getting?

4. May 14, 2013 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If you consider the graph of x=0.222sin(314t) for one period.

Then if you consider the distances covered in going from 0 to max, max to 0 and back, then you will get 4*Amplitude.

Which is exactly what you explained, but I don't know if you wanted to know with respect to the graph/equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted