1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object subjected to constant force, determine the force

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of Mass 3 in the x-y plane is subjected to a constant force F (in addition to its weight). The object starts from rest at x=0 y=0 and t=0. At t=2 the object's displacement is 2i+4j. Determine F.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Where do I begin? I know you have the position it moved so would I use work. Or do I need to find the acceleration and try and Find F that way???

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2
    Re: Force?

If you know the general solution to Newton's second law of motion, then you would just need to plug-in the numbers to find the answer. The key here is to note that the force is constant.

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

So would I use an Integral to figure it out since it is a constant force? or would I use F=MA.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4

Essentially, that's what you will do, but the solution to that is something you are probably already familiar with. It's an equation of motion.

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5

Equation of motion is confusing me? Would I say it traveled the magnitude of the disposition vector or that it only traveled 2 m in x direction?

7. Jun 30, 2008 #6

Find the equation that relates displacement, initial velocity and time lapsed and use it to find the acceleration, in both the x and y directions. And you must be knowing how acceleration relates to force.

8. Jun 30, 2008 #7

ok so you use Rf=Ri+Vi(t)+1/2(a)T^2 in both direction and since it started at rest you have no initial velocity. so u basically multiply the I and J by 2 to get your acceleration and the F would be your mass times acceleration. Right?

9. Jun 30, 2008 #8

That's right. That equation would look better (accurate, actually) if you substitute tf - ti for t.

Huh?

Right.

10. Jun 30, 2008 #9

Alright, I messed up algebraically what I'm saying is since the rest of the equation is o+o+1/2A(Tf-Ti)^2, So you would have 2-0 for the T square that would give you 4. 1/2(A)4 would give you 2a so you would divide that and find each acceleration. Will your final answer be in unit vector form for the force???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?