1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object suspended by two cables, what are the tensions of each cable?

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider there is a 634 N weight held by two cables that meet at a point above the weight. The left cable with tension T sub 2 makes an angle of 46° to the horizontal. The right cable with tension T sub 1 makes an angle of 40° to the horizontal.
    a) What is the tension in the cable labeled T sub 1 slanted at an angle of 40°?
    b) What is the tension in the cabel labeled T sub 2 slanted at an angle of 46°?

2. Relevant equations
    I feel that the only relevant equation in this case is that the Tension always equals the Force. Therefore F sub T would equal the weight.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to logically conclude that by splitting each tension force into components, the x components of each would have to equal 0 to balance each other out. I also thought that the y components of each would have to be equal to each other since they are the same height. So I had the equations Tsub1xsin40+Tsub2xsin46=634. I also had that Tsub1xcos40-Tsub2xcos46=0. Then I solved the second equation for Tsub1 and plugged it into the first equation and solved, but the answer was wrong. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi amyo16, wwelcome to PF.
    Your method and equations are correct, (except the sentence
    which is not true). You might have miscalculated something, show your numerical results.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook