Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Objects at the Speed of Light question

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    Let me begin by saying that I have never taken any type of physics classes what-so-ever. As a matter of fact I only have a high school education, so if this is a stupid question please excuse my ignorance. My question is this:

If I understand properly as an object gets closer to the SoL its molecules get more excited and begin to expand to the point of infinity, and that somehow slows the object or at least keeps it from gaining the SoL. If that is the case what would happen if you could force an object to reach absolute zero in temperature while it approached the speed of light?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.
    What you read isn't correct, special relativity says that the mass of an object increases exponentially as it approaches light speed. This means that for any object with mass it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it to light speed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook