Objects that react physically to light?

• Thread starter nlaham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, anything that will physically change due to radiation or light is possible, but there are no known examples of this at the moment.
nlaham
Does anyone know or have heard of any object that will react or change physically to light (and not necessarily because of temperature)?

I know materials expand and contract with temperature, but do any materials or objects change their physical form by light or radiation alone? I thought photovoltaic cells, or even pigment in ones skin, but that seems more of a chemical reaction than a physical one.

Sunflowers?? Haha just kidding, but for real. Anything out there today of this nature.

Science news on Phys.org
Anything non-biological?

haha! I might have to buy one of those.

Although the hexbug is powered by solar cells, which is a chemical reaction right? Either way, nothing actually moves in the PV cells (except the electrons I suppose)

There are UV curable materials, but they would only get harder with more light introduced (until fully cured).

Andy Resnick said:
Vampires

Best answer yet. :biggrin:

Light hitting an object puts a pressure on that object. It's a very small pressure, but it's there. So you can say that all objects will accelerate or strain when having a light shone on them.

gb7nash said:
Best answer yet. :biggrin:

HAH! I said non-biological. :tongue2:

Lsos said:
Light hitting an object puts a pressure on that object. It's a very small pressure, but it's there. So you can say that all objects will accelerate or strain when having a light shone on them.

Lsos, you don't happen to know any simplified equations off hand that relate the pressure or acceleration to radiation? Not that I could really use them for practical purposes but now I am just more curious then anything.

On the molecular level, there are many molecules that undergo conformational changes (i.e. changes in their shapes) when they absorb light of a particular frequency ... actually the mechanism of vision works this way. The retinal moeity of the rhodopsin protein absorbs a photon and changes it's conformation, which is the initiation step of the signalling cascade that let's your brain know a vision receptor was stimulated.

These types of molecules are sometimes incorporated into nanotechnology designs as light-activated sensors/switches, but I am not aware of any macroscopic systems that behave in this way, and meet the criteria you have established.

LOTS of materials break down in the long-term presence of light. Textiles, plastics and dyes readily come to mind.

Usually, it's the UV light that does the most damage.

Oxygen gas breaks down into monatomic oxygen. Lots of chemical reactions in the atmo around ozone that happen in the presence of light...

My clear vote is for Nitinol.(memory metal)
Though shinny, if coated black and hit with sufficient light, especially IR, a dramatic physical transformation takes place.

pallidin said:
My clear vote is for Nitinol.(memory metal)
Though shinny, if coated black and hit with sufficient light, especially IR, a dramatic physical transformation takes place.

Isn't that a heating effect though? I though the OP wanted to rule those out ... although as Andy Resnick pointed out, this is largely a semantic difference for macroscopic samples of molecules.

SpectraCat said:
Isn't that a heating effect though? I though the OP wanted to rule those out ... although as Andy Resnick pointed out, this is largely a semantic difference for macroscopic samples of molecules.

Yes indeed. But doesn't IR qualify as a photon-enabled trigger of physical transformation in this case?
Perhaps that's not what OP intended though, as you say.

1. What are some examples of objects that react physically to light?

Some common examples are photochromic lenses, glow-in-the-dark materials, and solar cells.

2. How do photochromic lenses work?

Photochromic lenses contain molecules that can undergo a chemical reaction when exposed to UV light. This reaction causes the molecules to change shape, which results in the lens darkening.

3. What causes glow-in-the-dark materials to glow?

Glow-in-the-dark materials contain phosphors, which are substances that emit light when energized by light. When exposed to light, the phosphors absorb energy and then release it as light over time, causing the material to glow.

4. Can light have a physical effect on objects other than causing them to glow or change color?

Yes, light can also have physical effects such as heating objects, causing them to expand or contract, or creating an electrical current in certain materials.

5. How do solar cells convert light into electricity?

Solar cells are made of materials, such as silicon, that can absorb photons from light. When photons are absorbed, they release electrons, which can then flow through the solar cell to create an electrical current.