Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observed angular velocity function of object moving in straight path

1. Mar 30, 2014 #1
    Hello, I have been trying to find an equation to represent the observed angular velocity of any object traveling in a straight path x and y distance away from where its being observed, along with the moving objects velocity. My problem is that I am getting a differential equation that in its simplest terms makes complete sense, but I cant get anything out of it. If you all could help out that would be great. I have attached an illustration, with my progress on it so far in the upper right corner. I am needing this for a camera tracking system, where it sees points as x and y coordinates. After calibrated, I need to include its observed angular velocity, and I could include angular acceleration that would be great too! Thanks again for all of your help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2
    x = y tanθ

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=y sec^2θ\frac{dθ}{dt}[/tex]
    [tex]sec^2θ=\frac{x^2+y^2}{y^2}[/tex]

4. Mar 31, 2014 #3
    Thankyou for the answer, could you tell us where you got the sec^2=x^2+y^2/y^2? I have never seen that in any of my maths

5. Mar 31, 2014 #4
    nevermind i just figured it out haha. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook