Observing Thermodynamic Phase Transitions Via Neutron Scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in analyzing and identifying phase transitions in neutron scattering data of a powder sample at different temperatures. The speaker has extracted Bragg peaks and is trying to determine if a change in peak position indicates a phase transition. They also mention using the ratio of atomic spacing and calculating atomic spacings using Bragg's law and plotting it against temperature. The conversation also mentions the density of states and the use of phonon dispersion curves to calculate specific heat. Finally, they mention a paper that may be helpful for determining phase transitions in the data.
.J.
Hi, before I start this is not coursework or any work attached to my degree but part of an internship at a neutron research facility at a level appropriate for Masters students and higer, so I felt it necessary to post it here rather than the homework section (sorry if I'm mistaken). I've been given some neutron scattering (time of flight) data of a powder sample at different temperatures. I am trying to analyse and identify phase transitions, however I'm finding this a bit difficult.

I've been able to obtain Bragg preaks for the 5 different temperatures by extracting the elastic line and plotting the intensity against the wave vector transfer (Q). I've been told that a change in peak position indicates a phase transition as this means there is a change in atomic/molecular spacings. Is this true? Or is this assumption only valid if there is a change in ratio of atomic spacings (say a/b), as changes in thermodynamic expansion should be uniform in all axies, where as a phase transition will result in a change in structure?

The 5 peaks I obtained (seen in PTFEpowder.jpg) all have slightly different positionings, with this I assume that I need the ratio of atomic spacing to identify a phase transtion. But out of all the peaks, the biggest shift seems to be between 300K and 270K. I happen to know that there is a transition at 303K and 297K, does this (hardly) larger shift provide any evidence of a phase transition (possibly the 297K one), or am I just getting desperate?

To analyse this more accuratley I've calculated the atomic spacings using the following reasoning:

Bragg's law n*(lambda) = 2*d*sin(theta)

Q = 4*(pi)*sin(theta)/(lambda)

combine to get : d = 2*(pi)/Q

After plotting d against temperature I got the graph shown in dVsT.jpg. From this you can see that d steadily increases with temperature, but after 270K d evolves with temperature at a more rapid rate. Can this be used as any evidence of a phase transition? if not, is there any other signs I can look out for?

I've also obtained the density of states at the different temperatures, but the program I'm using cannot find the phonon dispersion curves needed to calculate the specific heat of which I could use to find phase transitions.

Attachments

• PTFEpowder.jpg
    PTFEpowder.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 461
  • dVsT.jpg
    dVsT.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen people argue for phase transitions on far more subtle effects than what you've got there. ;)

It's been a while since I last thought about neutron scattering, but generally when you see a deviation from a linear temperature dependence for some quantity you're measuring, you've got yourself a phase or dynamical transition of some sort going on in your system.

You may want to check out the following paper:

http://www.lehigh.edu/imi/docs_relaxation/papers/Frick_Science_1995.pdf

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is thermodynamic phase transition?

A thermodynamic phase transition is a physical change that occurs in a substance when certain conditions, such as temperature or pressure, are altered. This change can result in a transformation of the substance's physical properties, such as its state of matter.

How is neutron scattering used to observe thermodynamic phase transitions?

Neutron scattering is a powerful technique used to investigate the atomic and molecular structure of materials. When neutrons are scattered off a sample, they provide information about the arrangement and movement of atoms and molecules, which can be used to study phase transitions in materials.

What types of phase transitions can be observed with neutron scattering?

Neutron scattering can be used to observe a wide range of phase transitions, including solid-solid, solid-liquid, and solid-gas transitions. It can also provide information about phase transitions in magnetic materials and superconductors.

What are the advantages of using neutron scattering to study phase transitions?

Neutron scattering offers several advantages for studying phase transitions, including its sensitivity to small structural changes, non-destructive nature, and ability to probe a wide range of length scales. It also allows for in situ measurements, meaning the sample can be studied under the conditions at which the phase transition occurs.

How does neutron scattering complement other techniques used to study phase transitions?

Neutron scattering is often used in conjunction with other techniques, such as X-ray diffraction and microscopy, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of phase transitions. Neutron scattering can provide information about the dynamics and atomic-scale structure of a material, while other techniques can provide complementary information about its macroscopic properties.