1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining field equations from an action

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Provided an action:
    [tex]S[A_\nu] = \int\left(\frac{1}{4}(A_{\gamma,\mu}-A_{\mu,\gamma})(A_{\zeta,\alpha}-A_{\alpha,\zeta})\eta^{\gamma\zeta}\eta^{\mu\alpha}+\frac{1}{2}\nu^2A_\mu A_\gamma -\beta A_\mu J^\mu\right)\sqrt{-\eta}~d^4x[/tex]

How would one go about finding the field equations for the same? I do understand that using the Euler-Lagrange method is how one should start out.

Does it tell us what kind of field we're looking at, at a glance?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the terms in the parentheses are just ##F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}##, but am unsure of how to proceed.

Additionally:
    Does anyone know any good resources online or books that derive field equations and extract physics from a given action in steps, giving a good detailed process from which one can observe and learn how the Euler Lagrange method is being applied, in terms of the 4-vector notation. My struggle is essentially in decoding the physics, largely due to problems with understanding the notation.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, so what do you get when you do the EL equation for a single component ##A_\lambda## of the field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted