1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining particular solution of second order linear DE from first

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1

K29

In cullen-zill chapter 6 equation 23 it says that

[itex]y_{2}(x)=y_{1}(x)\int\frac{e^{-\int P(x)dx}}{y_{1}^{2}(x)}dx[/itex]
    is a solution of
    [itex]y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0[/itex]
    whenever [itex]y_{1}(x)[/itex] is a known solution

Where does this come from? I would like to be able to prove this or find a proof somewhere.

My first thought is that since the general solution solution is [itex]y_{h}=C_{1}y_{1}+C_{2}y_{2}[/itex] then
    [itex]y_{2}=v(x)y_{1}[/itex] where v(x) is just a function of x.
    Thought maybe I could substitute that into the general form of the DE, but it doesn't seem to help much

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that method, "variation of parameters", will work. With [itex]y_2= v(x)y_1[/itex], [itex]y_2'= v'(x)y_1+ v(x)y_1'[/itex] and [itex]y_2''= v''(x)y_1+ 2v'(x)y_1'+ v(x)y_1''[/itex]. Putting those into the equation,
    [tex]v''y_1+ 2v'y'+ vy_1''+ P(x)v'y_1+ P(x)vy_1'+ Q(x)vy_1= y_1v''+ 2v'y_1'+ P(x)v'y_1+ v(y_1''+ P(x)y_1'+ Q(x)y_1)= 0[/tex]

Of course, that last term in parentheses is 0 so we have [itex]y_1v''+ (2y_1+ P(x)y_1)v'= 0[/itex]. Notice that there is no "v(x)" (undifferentiated) so if we let u= v', we have [itex]y_1u'+ (2y_1+ P(x)y_1)u= 0[/itex], a separable first order equation.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. Feb 19, 2012 #3

K29

Solved. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook