OCR Physics B Practical Investigation HELP ME PLEAAAASE

In summary, the resistance of a cell will increase linearly as the distance between the electrodes and the depth of the electrodes increases. The resistance will also decrease exponentially as the surface area of the electrodes increases.
shinichii
Okay, so I'm panicking cause I was supposed to give my draft in two weeks ago... and I haven't... Cause I got stuck... And began to procrastinate... Have started it again now... AND I'M STILL STUCKKKKK!

So if someone could just give me the basic answers to these questions, I'll know I'm on the right track, or if I'm screwing it all up.

1) How would the resistance of a solution vary with the distance between the electrodes and WHYYYY?? (like linear, exponential etc...)

2) How would resistance vary with depth of the electrodes and why?

Obviously this is electrochemical cell stuff... Erm, just so you know its CuSO4 with graphite electrodes... And any relevant equations would be very much appreciated.

If someone can help me I will be eternally grateful to you!

xxx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help, I haven't had any replies on student room or yahoo answers... I need this in by midnight!

okay so this is what I've got so far:

1) Resistance increases linearly as distance apart increases. As the distance increases, there is further for the ions to travel from the anode to the cathode, meaning the resistance is greater. But I can't work out WHY it's linear?!? Is there an equation linking distance and resistance?

2)The graph I have looks like a perfect exponential, with resistance decreasing as the depth increases. I have got this so far:
Surface area of electrode increases linearly with depth
As The surface area increases, there are more ions traveling from the anode to the cathode (this is also linear?)
Then obviously as there are more ions, there is less resistance... but i have no idea why it becomes an exponential??

I hope you now know I don't want you to do this for me, and I HAVE already spent 3 hours trawling the internet trying to find out

thanks

cmonnnn just a hint? :cry:

Take a look at the formula for the resistance of a wire given its length, cross sectional area, and inherent resistivity of the conductor. I think you can draw some parallels.

Okayyyyy,, so I've got it to

R = ρL/(πdL + πr^2)

Is that right? is that the direction I should be taking? cause it doesn't look it :confused:

You don't need a circular cross section, just the cross sectional area will do.
$$R = \rho \frac{L}{A}$$
and in your case ##A = W \cdot d##, where W is the plate width and d is the depth.

This will naturally be an approximation given that the cell (tank) probably has a cross sectional area larger than the plate areas, so there will be some "fringe effects" for the current path (there will be some current outside the straight-line volume connecting the plate surfaces).

1. What is OCR Physics B Practical Investigation?

OCR Physics B Practical Investigation is a practical component of the OCR Physics B course that requires students to plan and carry out an experiment, collect and analyze data, and draw conclusions based on their findings.

2. How do I select a topic for my practical investigation?

You should choose a topic that interests you and relates to the concepts covered in the OCR Physics B course. It should also be feasible, with appropriate equipment and materials available for the experiment.

3. What is the structure of the practical investigation report?

The practical investigation report should include a title, aim, hypothesis, method, results, analysis, and conclusion. It should also have a clear and logical flow, with relevant diagrams and graphs to support your findings.

4. How do I ensure accuracy and validity in my practical investigation?

To ensure accuracy and validity, you should carefully plan your experiment, use appropriate equipment and materials, conduct multiple trials, and record and analyze your data accurately. You should also consider any potential sources of error and discuss them in your report.

5. Are there any guidelines or marking schemes for the practical investigation?

Yes, there are guidelines and marking schemes provided by OCR for the practical investigation. It is important to familiarize yourself with these guidelines and ensure that your report meets all the necessary criteria to achieve a good grade.