ODE Hooke's Law, V(x) instead of V(t)

In summary, the conversation involves solving an ODE for the velocity as a function of position, given a 50kg mass attached to a spring hanging from an overhead beam. The ODE is obtained using the equations F= -kx, F=ma, a(t) = dv/dt, v(t)=dx/dt, F(2) = -50N, V(x0) = 0, x = distance below the overhead beam. The attempted equation is dv/dx = -kx+mg, but the correct approach is to use v * dv/dx = -k/m x +g and integrate both sides with respect to x.
blieveucanfly

Homework Statement

A 50kg mass is attached to a spring and hung from an overhead beam. The Force on the spring when extended 2 meters from rest is 50N. The resting length of the spring is 1m.

1) Obtain the ODE to solve for the velocity as a function of position (NOT time)

2) Solve the ODE if the spring is dropped from it's rest length of 1m

Homework Equations

F= -kx, F=ma, a(t) = dv/dt, v(t)=dx/dt, F(2) = -50N, V(x0) = 0, x = distance below the overhead beam)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am mostly having trouble coming up with an equation to solve. We are specifically forbidden from using second order methods to solve. I know logically that it's a periodic function since the spring oscillated up and down once released. I also know (as per my professor) that the solution v(x) will NOT be a periodic function.

My attempted equation is: dv/dx = -kx+mg

I was able to solve that (presumably incorrect) equation and get -k/2m x2 +gx +c

Am I on the right track or have I completely missed a key concept somewhere.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have figured it out: If my logic is correct dv/dt = dx/dt*dv/dx. Since I want a solution for v(x), I need to solve the differential with a dv/dx in it. I can get this by substituting v for dx/dt.

My new ODE looks like this: v * dv/dx = -k/m x +g
which I then solve by integrating both sides

blieveucanfly said:
I think I may have figured it out: If my logic is correct dv/dt = dx/dt*dv/dx. Since I want a solution for v(x), I need to solve the differential with a dv/dx in it. I can get this by substituting v for dx/dt.

My new ODE looks like this: v * dv/dx = -k/m x +g
which I then solve by integrating both sides
Yes, integrate both sides with respect to x.

(dv/dx)dx = dv .

blieveucanfly said:
I think I may have figured it out: If my logic is correct dv/dt = dx/dt*dv/dx.
Yup, that's the chain rule applied to v(x(t)).

1) What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting deformation or displacement of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement produced, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2) What is the equation for Hooke's Law?

The equation for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object.

3) How is Hooke's Law related to ODEs?

Hooke's Law is often used to model the behavior of springs and elastic materials in ODEs (ordinary differential equations). The equation F = -kx is a first-order linear ODE that can be solved to determine the displacement of the object over time.

4) What is V(x) in Hooke's Law?

V(x) refers to the potential energy of the object at a given displacement, x. In Hooke's Law, this potential energy is equal to the work done by the force applied to the object.

5) How does V(x) differ from V(t) in Hooke's Law?

In Hooke's Law, V(x) represents the potential energy at a specific displacement, while V(t) represents the potential energy at a specific point in time. This means that V(x) takes into account the position of the object, while V(t) does not.