1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE Hooke's Law, V(x) instead of V(t)

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 50kg mass is attached to a spring and hung from an overhead beam. The Force on the spring when extended 2 meters from rest is 50N. The resting length of the spring is 1m.

1) Obtain the ODE to solve for the velocity as a function of position (NOT time)

2) Solve the ODE if the spring is dropped from it's rest length of 1m

2. Relevant equations
    F= -kx, F=ma, a(t) = dv/dt, v(t)=dx/dt, F(2) = -50N, V(x0) = 0, x = distance below the overhead beam)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am mostly having trouble coming up with an equation to solve. We are specifically forbidden from using second order methods to solve. I know logically that it's a periodic function since the spring oscillated up and down once released. I also know (as per my professor) that the solution v(x) will NOT be a periodic function.

My attempted equation is: dv/dx = -kx+mg

I was able to solve that (presumably incorrect) equation and get -k/2m x2 +gx +c

Am I on the right track or have I completely missed a key concept somewhere.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2
    I think I may have figured it out: If my logic is correct dv/dt = dx/dt*dv/dx. Since I want a solution for v(x), I need to solve the differential with a dv/dx in it. I can get this by substituting v for dx/dt.

My new ODE looks like this: v * dv/dx = -k/m x +g
    which I then solve by integrating both sides

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, integrate both sides with respect to x.

(dv/dx)dx = dv .

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, that's the chain rule applied to v(x(t)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook