ODE/Kinetic Theory problem: Particles leaking in boxes

In summary, two boxes of volume V share a common wall with a hole in it. The boxes have gas at T. At t =0s there are N1(0) particles in box 1 and N2(0) particles in box 2. The particles from box 1 leak into box 2 through the hole and vice versa. The pressure of box 1 is as function of time and it goes to the average value as t goes to infinity.
Lagraaaange

Homework Statement

Two boxes of volume V sharing a common wall with a hole of ΔA. Both boxes have gas at T. At t =0s there are N1(0) at one box at time t and N2(0) particles in the other box.The particles from box 1 leak into box 2 through the hole and vice versa.
a. obtain two differential equations, one for N1(t) and one for N2(t).
b. Solve them for N1(t) and N2(t). Particles are not created or destroyed : N1(t) + N2(t) = N1(0) + N2(0)
c. Find pressure of box 1 as function of time and show that it goes to the average value as t goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

P = 2N/3V * 1/2 <mv^2>

The Attempt at a Solution

Φ = nu/4
Flux * Area = Rate
Rate = Anu/4
-dN1/dt = ANu/V4
N1(t) = N1(0)exp(-ΔAut/4V) (negative since rate out)
and N2(t)=N2(0)exp(ΔAut/4V) (positive since I chose rate in for here)
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Lagraaaange said:

Homework Statement

Two boxes of volume V sharing a common wall with a hole of ΔA. Both boxes have gas at T. At t =0s there are N1(0) at one box at time t and N2(0) particles in the other box.The particles from box 1 leak into box 2 through the hole and vice versa.
a. obtain two differential equations, one for N1(t) and one for N2(t).
b. Solve them for N1(t) and N2(t). Particles are not created or destroyed : N1(t) + N2(t) = N1(0) + N2(0)
c. Find pressure of box 1 as function of time and show that it goes to the average value as t goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

P = 2N/3V * 1/2 <mv^2>

The Attempt at a Solution

Φ = nu/4
Flux * Area = Rate
Rate = Anu/4
-dN1/dt = ANu/V4
N1(t) = N1(0)exp(-ΔAut/4V) (negative since rate out)
and N2(t)=N2(0)exp(ΔAut/4V) (positive since I chose rate in for here)[/B]

Your 'relevant equation' has some bearing on then subject but not used here so not really relevant.
You haven't taken into account that they are moving both ways.
Relation of N1 and N2 (and their time derivatives) simple - and not what you have in conclusions.
Second part of c not answered.

epenguin said:
Your 'relevant equation' has some bearing on then subject but not used here so not really relevant.
You haven't taken into account that they are moving both ways.
Relation of N1 and N2 (and their time derivatives) simple - and not what you have in conclusions.
Second part of c not answered.
So is my part A ok? I don't know where to proceed.

Lagraaaange said:
So is my part A ok?

I don't think so. The first three contain terms not defined, I don't know what u is in particular, nor why it all has to be divided by 4. Clearly ΔA plays a role.

You should have an eye for whether your equations predict anything reasonable even without solving them. For example yours predict that if there are no particles intially (N1(0) = 0 in box 1, it stays empty for ever, dN1/dt = 0. Your solution predicts that if there are any in 2 their number will increase exponentially without limit.
You have as I said to consider particles are going both ways.

Last edited:

1. What is the ODE/Kinetic Theory problem?

The ODE/Kinetic Theory problem is a mathematical modeling approach used to describe the movement and behavior of particles in a system, such as gas molecules in a container. This problem involves solving a set of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) to determine the position, velocity, and other properties of the particles over time.

2. What causes particles to leak out of a box?

Particles can leak out of a box due to a difference in concentration or pressure between the inside and outside of the box. This can occur if the box has a small hole or opening, allowing particles to escape. Diffusion, the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, can also contribute to particle leakage.

3. How does the number of particles in a box affect leakage?

Generally, the more particles there are in a box, the higher the likelihood of particle leakage. This is because there are more particles available to move and escape through any openings or holes in the box. However, other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the size of the box can also influence particle leakage.

4. Can the ODE/Kinetic Theory problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the ODE/Kinetic Theory problem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to model the behavior of gases, liquids, and even solids in various systems. For example, it can help scientists understand the diffusion of pollutants in the atmosphere or the movement of molecules in a chemical reaction.

5. How can the ODE/Kinetic Theory problem be solved?

The ODE/Kinetic Theory problem can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as numerical integration or analytical solutions. Depending on the complexity of the problem, computer simulations may also be used to model and solve the ODEs. Additionally, there are many software programs and tools available to help scientists and engineers solve ODE/Kinetic Theory problems efficiently.