ODE particular solution of the homogeneous equation

In summary: Multiply the equation by e^{2iAt} to get [itex](v'e^{2iAt}+ 2iAve^{2iAt})= f(t)e^{iAt}[/itex]. The left side is the derivative of [itex]ve^{2iAt}[/itex] so [itex]ve^{2iAt}= \int f(t)e^{iAt}dt+ C[/itex]. Now, dividing by e^{2iAt}, that is, multiplying by [itex]e^{-2iAt}[/itex], [itex]v= e^{-2iAt}\int f(t)e^{iAt}dt+ Ce^{-
Dragonfall
[tex]y''(t)+A^2y(t)=f(t), t>0, y(0)=B, y'(0)=C, A, B, C\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]e^{iAt}[/tex] is a particular solution of the homogeneous equation. I can multiply it by some arbitrary function and find another solution of the homogeneous case, but when I try with the f(t) on the RHS, I can't do it. Anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not at all sure what you mean by "I can multiply it by some arbitrary function and find another solution of the homogeneous case" Since the two solutions to the characteristic equation for this problem are Ai and -Ai, the two independent solutions to the homogeneous equation are
[itex]e^{iAt}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-iAt}[/itex]. What do you mean by "try with the f(t) on the RHS"? Are you talking about "variation of parameters"?

I meant by reduction of order.

Ah! Then you are not multiplying by "some arbitrary function". You are multiplying by an unknown function and then determining what that function must be in order to solve the equation.

Since you know that [itex]e^{iAt}[/itex] satisfies the homogenous equation, you look for a solution to the entire equation of the form [itex\y= u(t)e^{iAt}[/itex]. Then [itex]y'= u'e^{iAt}+ iAu e^{iAt}[/itex] and [itex]y"= u"e^{iAt}+ 2iAu'e^{iAt}- A^2ue^{iAt}[/itex]. Putting those into the original equation, the [itex]A^2ue^{iAt}[/itex] terms cancel leaving [itex]u"e^{iAt}+ 2iAu'e^{iAt}= f(t)[/itex]. Since there are only first and second derivatives of u in that, let v= u' and the differential equation reduces to first order: [itex]v'e^{iAt}+ 2iAve^{iAt}= f(t)[/itex] or [itex]v'+ 2iAv= f(t)e^{-iAt}[/itex]
That's a linear first order differential equation so there is a formula for the integrating factor.

1. What is an ODE particular solution of the homogeneous equation?

An ODE particular solution of the homogeneous equation is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies the initial conditions and is independent of any arbitrary constants. It is also known as a particular integral or a particular solution.

2. How is an ODE particular solution of the homogeneous equation different from a general solution?

A general solution to a differential equation includes all possible solutions, including those with arbitrary constants. An ODE particular solution, on the other hand, is a specific solution that does not contain any arbitrary constants.

3. How do you find an ODE particular solution of the homogeneous equation?

The method for finding an ODE particular solution varies depending on the type of differential equation. In general, the solution can be found by substituting the particular solution into the original equation and solving for the unknown constants.

4. Can an ODE particular solution be unique?

Yes, an ODE particular solution can be unique if the differential equation is of a specific form and the initial conditions are well-defined. However, in some cases, there may be multiple particular solutions that satisfy the given conditions.

5. Why is it important to find an ODE particular solution of the homogeneous equation?

Finding a particular solution to a differential equation is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the system under specific initial conditions. This is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications, where predicting the behavior of a system is necessary.